Sum Story Points to Epic

Bryan Riley September 4, 2012

Is there any way to get the story points summarized into a custom field and applied to the Epic that they are attached to? For example...

I have epic TEST-1

Stories TEST-2 and TEST-3 each are assigned to epic TEST-1, and each have 7 points assigned to them.

When I view TEST-1, I'd like to have a custom field that shows me there are 14 points within that Epic.

8 answers

4 votes
Isaiah Taylor October 11, 2019

I've found a simple workaround for this on Jira Cloud. Simply filter your epic in the backlog and you will get category totals.

Lauren Pennisi March 3, 2020

How does this idea work, Isaiah?

Mats June 18, 2020

If you go to the backlog, and select an epic, the total sum of story points for the epic in each sprint or backlog is shown in the grey/blue/green circles.

3 votes
alex.lee November 6, 2019

Boo, it's so much easier to do on Pivotal.

1 vote
B.J. Dekkers September 11, 2019

In  Portfolio you can show the total of underlying story point (improved interface). Remember to select the option "Show rolled-up values" under View settings

1 vote
Steffen Stamprath
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2015

I think the plugin "Epic Sum Up" is exactly what you need!
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.epicSumUp

ChirannjeviP July 25, 2016

Can we get the Epic Sum up field in the issue navigator to get excel report?

Like Caio Nobrega likes this
0 votes
Alex Fairweather June 19, 2020

Can be done in Jira Server, but you need to have the Dataplane reporting module added to Jira: 

Create a Dataplane report:   Sum Numeric Field

Choose

• Value Of:  Story Points
  • Segment by: Epic Link
  • horizontal bar chart

Save the Dataplane Report

Epic story points.png

Then to publish in a Confluence Page, Edit a Conf Page: click:

• +(insert more content)
  • Other macros
  • External content
  • Arsenale Dataplane report
  • Choose your Saved Dataplane report name

Epic story points Macro into Conf Page.jpg

Sheik Mubarak March 6, 2024

@Alex Fairweather this is awesome. how to get the  Dataplane reporting module added to Jira? We are using Jira server version 9.4.14. 

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 5, 2019

Hi Bryan,

A bit late, but I have a solution for this on Jira Cloud.

I created a plugin called Agile Docs which displays the total number of story points in each Epic.

agile-docs-progress-report.png

As an added bonus, you can interact with your project in a tree view like a google doc.

Hope that helps!

mbroughton-ph September 10, 2019

@Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_ - Any chance this will be made available for Jira Server?

Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 3, 2019

Possibly, but Atlassian is really pushing their cloud products at the moment so I wanted to concentrate on cloud for the time being. I'll build a server version if there's enough demand.

Jun Li February 11, 2020

we would like it to be on data center

Alex Fairweather May 28, 2020

Hey Rhys.  This would be a fabulous feature on Jira server!

Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
October 7, 2020

Hi @mbroughton-ph 

You might want to try out the server addon we have built just of this purpose.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and issue Tracker 

It will provide you the below features

• Sum up your Epic's Time Spent, Original Estimate, Time Remaining, and Percent Complete
  • Display and manage Sprint/Epics/Issues of your project
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well

Epic Tree Screen_Hierarchy.png

Sheik Mubarak March 6, 2024

@Rahul_RVS_Support does this support Jira Server version 9.4.14?

Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
March 7, 2024

Hi @Sheik Mubarak 

We will be releasing a new compatible version in a day or two

Thanks,

RVS Support

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012
0 votes
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2012

Hello Briley,

I believe that you can use the "Calculated Number Field" of JIRA Misc Custom Fields Plugin. Please find on the link below more details about the usage of it:

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JMCF/Home#Home-calculatednumberfield

And the link for downloading the plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmcf.jira-misc-custom-fields

Cheers!

Bryan Riley September 6, 2012

This was my original thought - however from what I understand if we're using the Epic/Theme field to put the Epic key in (instead of actually linking the Epics to stories) this may not work.

Are you aware of a formula that I could use where the Epic/Theme field can be used? For example, if stories TEST-2 and TEST-3 were both flagged with 'TEST-1' in the Epic/Theme field.

Max Kloosterman November 1, 2016

Anyone any idea on the formula you would need to write for summing story points of user stories to the calculated number field for an epic? and is it possible to then use that field in a dashboard in Confluence?

Jeremy Brooks February 5, 2017

This plugin is no longer supported for JIRA cloud, does anyone know of an alternative?

Suggest an answer