Suggestions on the best way to leverage 'Assets' data

Ste404
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2023

Hi there,

Per the subject, just trying to come up with ways to use Assets data in the cloud now that I am getting intune data in there.

I can create some tasks via automation to summarise the information, i.e. warranty expiring within 14 days or similar.

I would love to get this data over to Excel or even Power BI for some dashboarding to present what it there along with some issue information in a nice manner.

How is anyone leveraging Asset information when there are no OOTB reports or widgets or filters or anything basically?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2023

Hi Steven,

A key thing we use assets for is listing the users site/location on the ticket. I have an employees object schema that holds this information and whenever a ticket is created I have an automation that runs that automatically selects the site on their ticket.

From this, I have a filter setup for all tickets closed for a particular month and then using the built in Dashboard section I have a pie chart showing where all our closed tickets came from for the month. This helps understand where the majority of our tickets come from within the business.  If we are seeing an increase with more tickets from a remote location, then maybe it is time for a site visit to get some face to face with the field. We used to report on this in Excel, however since moving to Jira we have been able to utilise the Dashboards for our reporting.

Other than using it as a traditional asset system, I also have a Defaults schema setup which is the default values available for each field on the Asset creation/edit screen. I like to have consistency across all areas of my asset system and so this stops others from randomly creating different model names I.e entering "iphone 14 pro" instead of the default "Apple iPhone 14 Pro". We have the ability to disable any models as they go out of production too which hides them from the drop down lists. This is something we couldn't do in our old system. 

Cheers,
Suzi

Ste404
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2023

Hey Suzi,

Thanks for the info.  I have some basic fields like that also, 

Maps the users assets to a custom field and display on the form

Maps more AD information and maps to some fields also

Additionally some fields to limit what people can select for hardware requests and such.

Just trying to see about some sort of reporting, metrics etc that people may be using, coming up a tad dry :)

You are right though, it is an improvement having asset information more locked down as opposed to freeform text fields being entered.

Consistency is key :)

Like Suzi Firth likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events