Suggestion for Ranking of Epics

Sunil Muniyal August 30, 2016

Hello,

We are using rank field of Epics for prioritization of epics on a Kanban board. We understand that we can rank issues by moving them up / down on kanban board and is very effective when we do that for the issues in same status. However, the challenge we are facing to analyze the issue that is supposed to be on priority when we have a report pulled which is ordered by rank and lists all the epics in various statuses.

For eg. I have 3 Epics, one in On Hold status, other in Ready for Development and third in Development status. When I look at these epics in individual columns they are ranked at top and all 3 appear appropriately on Kanban board. Now, if I create a report ordered by Rank on dashboard and list all these epics, there is a possibility that Epic in On Hold status appears on the top of list followed by the one if Ready for Development and then one in Development. After I look at this report I want to re-rank my Epic in Development to be on top and On Hold to be at bottom.

I go to Kanban board and I see the only option while re-ranking is Move to Top or Bottom but that is applicable only within that column.

How do I achieve ranking of an epic against epics in other statuses?

Thanks

Sunil M.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
crochaju
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2016

Hi Sunil,

according with the documentation you can  drag to reorder or sort by columm.

have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAPortfolioCloud/Adding+and+editing+initiatives,+epics+and+stories

Cheers

Carlos Rocha

Sunil Muniyal August 31, 2016

Hello Carlos,

Thank you for the response, however, this would still not help. 2 reasons for that:

1. I am trying to re-rank epics which are not in same status i.e. not in same column on Kanban board.
  2. If I use Portfolio plan to re-rank epics, it would be easy to manage in case of 10-20 or may be 50 epics. However, I am looking at 300+ epics. It would definitely be very difficult if I want to bring any epic which is at the last to the top in the list as Portfolio plan does not have a feature of Move to top or bottom that Kanban board has.

Request you to please suggest.

Thanks
Sunil M. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2016

There is one quick cheat.  Create a new Kanban board with the same filter, then put all the status into one column.  The ranks are on the issues, not the boards, so you'll be able to put whatever order you like in there.

Sunil Muniyal August 31, 2016

Hello Nic,

Thank you for the  response.

This looks to be a good work around (probably the only solution smile). Will propose the same and hopefully gets accepted.

Regards,
Sunil M. 

Suggest an answer