It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Subtasks in Next-Gen project?

Hi,

I'm a little confused on how to add a subtask to an issue in a Next-Gen project. Subtasks are enabled, and I do have the option to add a subtask to an issue in a classic project, but cannot figure it out in a Next-Gen project. Are they not available in Next-Gen/is there some other configuration that needs to be done to enable them?

Thanks!

53 answers

1 accepted

Yup - been using them all day! Yeah!!  

But are they sortable??  I seem to get them ordering in ticket ID smallest to largest and cannot edit it.....

Hello all,

is it possible to show subtasks on the sprint board and move them across the columns like in the normal projects? So far I could not figure out how to do it.

Thanks and best regards
Daniel

Like # people like this

Guys, only our admins can Sort the board "by" (including by subtasks"). So we end up with none of the team member being able to see their work on the board within the subtasks :( Cannot see how this can be set up.

Please assist.

image (2).png

Like Tiphaine Leblanc likes this
Eoin Ryan Atlassian Team Jun 30, 2019

Hi @Daria Naumova . Thanks for the feedback. We'll be looking to make subtasks a user configuration rather than a board configuration as an iteration to subtasks.

Like Daria Naumova likes this

I'm so disappointed to only be able to see subtasks when the board is grouped by subtask. What if we had 15 tickets on the board with subtasks being worked on over a couple months? The board would be so long and confusing. The subtasks look like regular tickets, and I want them to at least be optionally able to act like them. The way we would use subtasks on my team is I (as PO) would make a user story, and the team would breakdown the ticket into dev tasks, which would be subtasks. As PO, I want to see the progress of the subtasks on the ticket to completing the user story. Therefore, the subtasks need to be on the board and in the backlog like regular tickets. 

As an aside, it'd be useful if the user could make issue checklist items into subtasks. Now, when you select to convert it to an issue it doesn't offer subtask as an issue type. I'd want it to be able to become a subtask of the ticket it was created from.

Like # people like this

Is there an update regarding the group by subtask?

Also, why is it that when I group by subtask, some assignees disappear from the board?

Eoin Ryan Atlassian Team Sunday

@Alexander Brooks we're currently resolving a couple of issues when filtering with subtasks grouping is enabled. Is this when your assignees are disappearing? Feel free to email me with some screenshots or with more detail at eryan@atlassian if easier. Thanks

Yes, the assignees are disappearing.

40 votes
Julien Femia Atlassian Team Apr 23, 2019

Hi everyone,

I apologise for the frustration this is causing. We know subtasks is an important part of your workflow and we are working hard to deliver on the experience as soon as possible.

We're working through the last critical pieces of the features, making sure it all works in a performant way. We should start releasing subtasks to next-gen projects at some point next week if everything goes well. I will update this thread when we do.

For those of you that would like to be part of the first cohort of instances that we enable subtasks on; can you send an email to jfemia@atlassian.com with your hostname (e.g. xx.atlassian.net) in the body and with "Next-gen Subtasks" as the subject? I will subsequently reply to your email at the point we turn on the feature flag for your instance.

Thanks a lot for your patience!

email sent....Thanks Julien

Email sent!  Dying for Sub-Tasks!

Thanks, Julien. We are looking forward to having this.

I've sent an email on 4/24 and have no reply. Mail from anna.sternicka@instapage.com.

Thanks in advance!

Like Grzegorz Bytniewski likes this

Email sent! thank you!

Thank you!  Just sent an email.

Email sent

Email sent. Thanks

I've also sent the email

Email already sent, but no answer til now.

Email sent. Eagerly awaiting subtasks in our project. Thanks much!

I have sent email but no reply.

Thanks, Email sent. 

I threw my name in the hat as well. 

Thanks - email sent

Emailed!

Thanks, email sent!

Email sent, thank you!

Peter

Email sent. Thanks!

When will this be available for everyone? Thanks.

Welp I sent an email too 🤞🏻

thanks Julien, 

email sent. Looking forward to testing it.

-Mario

We really need this to.

Like Marco Lujan likes this

email sent. Anyone who has  this working after sending the email ? Thank you!! 

has anyone had this enabled yet? I just sent email

Email sent - we need this as soon as possible is there any news?

I sent the request email on May 20th and received a response on May 23rd. My team started using sub-tasks in our next-gen project. Hope all others get sub-tasks soon!

Like Rea Baxmann likes this

So it does work :) I would like to do the same, but have not received any notification from Atlassian. 

i sent an email last week and never heard back

Email sent, waiting for response 

Still waiting, no reply to my email yet either.

I found I needed to setup the issue type, see this article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/manage-subtasks-in-next-gen-projects-968685302.html

Never hear back on my email.

Thanks mate. Looking forward to check it out.

There's already a block entry which shows how to add sub-tasks to a next-gen Jira project. If  i follow the steps, i can't add a sub-task. Can somone give me the current status regarding this topic.

Many thanks!

All - Here is how I got this working.

If you scroll above, you will see that I had sent an email 3 business days ago but no response.

I was having some other issue with JIRA here, so I had opened a ticket with them. While I was waiting for them to help me with that, I sent thme link to this page & told them I had sent an email 3 business days back & was wondering if they can help. The support person replied to my ticket within an hour saying he enabled sub-tasks. Maybe you guys can open a separate ticket to get their attention. Hope this helps!!

Best

Sunil

Like # people like this

Email sent. Please Help! :)

My Bad - subtasks do appear on the board. Not sure why it didnt show up in 1st place. but it shows now. Maybe it took while to reflect. this is the latest update to what was written below, so please ignore below (keeping the text below just for history) --

quick update -

The subtasks dont appear on the Sprint board to see the progress/status - to drag them from one column to other. All you see are stories & tasks!! (unless I am missing something in the time I got to explore. Just cant seem to like this next gen) - So enabling them isn't a great help!!

Best

Sunil

Sunil, the way I see it "not showing on backlog and sprint as a separate issue" is exactly the reason to use subtask instead of just linking a task to a story, isn't it?

Hi Guilherme - Thanks for the reply.

Thinking more on what you said - if you dont want to see them on board then maybe you dont need it.

I generally like to see all subtask on the board under the parent & like to see the progress of each.

Again, everyone might be using it differently & I respect that.

Can you explain more, as I want to understand your perspective/reasons - maybe that might work for me too. Thanks for your help

Hey Sunil, 

Sure, I'd be happy to share with you. I suppose every team like to organize things differently and that is the charm of Scrum. :)

We are trying to have a good balance between detailed view and an organised backlog. So, in some cases, we'd like to use subtasks inside stories that are not showing on the backlog and sprints. That way I can organize different tasks for each one of the team while keeping all together in one story.

I totally see a scenario where these tasks could be also showing on the backlog, as you want. But, if an understand correctly (I am new to Jira), this is the current behaviour of the next-gen Jira. If you link an issue with another issue (and you can select the type of their relation) they will be connected, similar to the way subtasks works, but will also be showing on the backlog.

Hope it helps.

Best,

Like Sunil Koparde likes this

Email sent. Thank you.

Email sent. Thanks in Advance!

Email sent, a couple of days back -looking forward to being able to use the feature 

email sent, thank you

email sent. tyvm, Julien

Email sent, we need this feature too!

Email sent. Thanks in advance !

Best regards, Bala

Email sent - thanks!

Brian

Email Sent -

Thanks

Peter

32 votes

Hello,

Subtasks are not available yet in next-gen projects. But they are on the roadmap. They will be available later. You can find the roadmap for next-gen projects here:

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software#result-066d462c

Thank you, appreciate the quick response!

You are welcome!

Like maxence likes this

Hi @Alexey Matveev [cPrime] - any idea what is the timeframe of "available later" for sub tasks?

@Furqan Iqbal I am not sure, I am a Jira user like you.

This is extremely surprising - missing this feature alone caused me to not even start using the Next Generation Projects. Shame - they looked really cool but I can't use them without subtasks. 

Like # people like this

Also started looking at moving my project to the Next-gen but if we cant create sub-tasks under a Issue then have to stay on the classic project 

Like # people like this

Is there any other ways to move our subtasks from Classic to NG? Should we change the "Subtask" type to "Task" before we migrate it?

If you change subtasks to tasks, then you will be able to move your subtasks to a next-gen project. But these subtasks will loose connection to the parent task.

Not a problem if I lose the connection to the parent task because my goal is to have all issues in the next-gen.

How can I change subtask to task in a massive way? Kindly help.

Thanks!

Like Cyril Bouthors likes this

I bulk changed my sub tasks to tasks within my current Jira project, then moved the converted tasks to my new next-gen Jira project.

Sub tasks may also be a game changer for us. Would love to know the timeline on this feature.

Like Rogelio Jimenez likes this

also me, subtask will be our game changer, please deliver it asap :(

Like Gin Gindre likes this

Are there some estimates for "COMING SOON" features? Why isn't Jira using the new roadmap for the "Next-gen roadmap"?

Like # people like this
Like # people like this

Hi All,

Do we have any update by when we will be able to use the creation of Sub-Task functionality in Jira Cloud?

Regards

Nidhi

5 months passed...

Like # people like this

We really need this NOW. What is the hold up??

Like # people like this
YK Kuang I'm New Here Apr 16, 2019

We need subtask back to Jira NOW. Please! 

What is the roadmap, please? 

Like # people like this

Please add subtasks ><

Like # people like this

i wish i had read this before opting to use next-gen for my projects! i have wasted a lot of time

Like Mario Cueva likes this

Simon, Same here. 

Subtasks, Versions and estimates in hours :) otherwise I am a big fan of NextGen

Waiting for subtasks here to

Where are they??? when will they become available? why are we still waiting?

This is the reason people are hesitant to upgrade.. because the stuff they rely upon on a daily basis gets swept out from underneath them.

Is this seriously still not a thing??? Any updates as to when this should be released?

+1  would very much like to have sub-tasks...

Any update on that matter? No having this issue makes the "next-gen projects" basically unusable for SCRUM teams. 

Another vote from me for getting Subtasks in next-gen projects ASAP.

We need subtasks, too.

Any update on availability or a release date?

Looking for the same!

Like # people like this

Sub-tasks even mentioned in next gen project documentation: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-issues-and-sub-tasks-764478439.html

It is very confusing and frustrating they are 'in place' but can't be used properly.

Alas, using next-gen project caused our team more pains than gains so far :(

Like # people like this

This is confusing indeed, but the documentation you linked is not for next-gen projects :(

The roadmap has been saying sub-tasks are "coming soon" since October last year. How soon is soon?

If it's going to be another six months before sub-tasks are implemented I will switch back to Classic now.

It just seems Atlassian has gone quiet on what's happening with Next-Gen.

This is cause for concern.

EDIT 8/1/2019

Since I wrote this answer Atlassian has provided a lot more information. We still don't have sub-tasks but we have assurances they are working very hard on getting them out ASAP. I suggest everyone follows this issue:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17155?focusedCommentId=1923019&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-1923019

Another vote here. Any time estimate on it?

Yes, we also neeeeeeed the subtask

well, as a walk around, you could use epic as story and task as sub tasks...

@Herman Xiao How would I move my current project with multiple tasks and subtasks to use Epic and task ? I am unable to recreate due to the amount of issues in my backlog 

you can bulk convert all subtasks to tasks, then move story to epic and attach tasks to the epic

How can we be notified for when subtask is available in next-gen?

+1 - next gen projects without subtasks is blocking us from starting using the next gen projects. I'm surprised Atlassian cannot even provide "jan2019" or at minimum Q1'19 estimate for the arrival. "Coming soon" can mean 'anything'....

+ for subtasks from here, too. Having subtasks would be so useful for us, too! It would be awesome if you could prioritize their development.

+1 

This has been "on the roadmap" for over 4 months now... I thought the whole point of using Jira Cloud was that you get more rapid feature updates?

Not being able to break down the cards into more specific working items is infuriating, since not everything is an Epic that needs to go into the roadmap.

We'd be happy with even simpel "checklist" capabilities in the markdown/description, but we don't even get that...

And Subtasks HAVE to be available to be added to the board - not just issues/stories. Otherwise board becomes pretty useless.

+1 on adding subtasks - This is pretty important guys!

+100500 for subtasks in next-gen projects

Lol but i hope they count your +100,500 

4 votes

Is there any ETA for this deployment in Jira?

Thank you

I have just started with Next gen and missed that SubTasks are not available. How long is coming soon? Or can I transfer a Next Gen project to classic?

The only way to convert next-gen project to a classic project is to create a classic project and move all issues from the next-gen project to the this classic project.

I've also just recently started a next-gen project and it would be nice to know what's the estimate for sub-tasks. Thanks!

Need subtasks...... We just set up all of our epics and storys and sub tasks is really important for our workflow. A previous project we are finishing has this capability. Kind of weird that next gen doesn't.

Subtasks please!

neeeeeeeeeed this like yesterday +1

Hi everyone! +10000 for subtasks in next-gen projects

Out team is also suffering without the subtasks. Can be a notification for this feature implementation? As the roadmap of Atlassian doesn't give many insights.

We would readlly appreciate it!

Best

Maria

3 votes

Loving the next-gen projects. Of course +1 for subtasks. Thanks for your work

Waiting for sub-tasks on the Next-gen projects. Thanks.

I'm pretty stunned next-gen does not have sub-tasks. This is a feature in the most basic of task management apps. Is there another version of Jira we can use that has a minimum basic feature set for project management? I considering to move away from Atlassian

@Ian M, you can use Jira Classic projects with all their beauty and rich feature set (including sub-tasks).

Also waiting for sub-tasks before Next Gen projects can be used at our end. Really want to start using Next Gen Atlassian, please can we get a move on with this?

Dears,

is there away ti switch back to my old jira from next Gen???

Like anthony.carbutt likes this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Calling all Jira Cloud users! Give us feedback on our exploration of a new navigation.

Hi everyone! My name’s Matt and I’m a product manager at Atlassian. I work in the navigation & findability space for all our Jira Cloud products. We’ve been working on trying to improve the exp...

1,016 views 16 12
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you