It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Subtasks in Next-Gen project?

Angelo Loria Oct 22, 2018

Hi,

I'm a little confused on how to add a subtask to an issue in a Next-Gen project. Subtasks are enabled, and I do have the option to add a subtask to an issue in a classic project, but cannot figure it out in a Next-Gen project. Are they not available in Next-Gen/is there some other configuration that needs to be done to enable them?

Thanks!

51 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
Julien Femia Atlassian Team Apr 23, 2019

Hi everyone,

I apologise for the frustration this is causing. We know subtasks is an important part of your workflow and we are working hard to deliver on the experience as soon as possible.

We're working through the last critical pieces of the features, making sure it all works in a performant way. We should start releasing subtasks to next-gen projects at some point next week if everything goes well. I will update this thread when we do.

For those of you that would like to be part of the first cohort of instances that we enable subtasks on; can you send an email to jfemia@atlassian.com with your hostname (e.g. xx.atlassian.net) in the body and with "Next-gen Subtasks" as the subject? I will subsequently reply to your email at the point we turn on the feature flag for your instance.

Thanks a lot for your patience!

Dwight Pfundstein May 07, 2019

email sent....Thanks Julien

Dickinson Lo May 09, 2019

Email sent!  Dying for Sub-Tasks!

Cory Fairchild May 10, 2019

Thanks, Julien. We are looking forward to having this.

Anna Sternicka I'm New Here May 13, 2019

I've sent an email on 4/24 and have no reply. Mail from anna.sternicka@instapage.com.

Thanks in advance!

Jorge Muza I'm New Here Tuesday

Email sent! thank you!

Ryan Blake I'm New Here Thursday

Thank you!  Just sent an email.

Chris White I'm New Here Friday

Email sent

Win Ko Min Saturday

Email sent. Thanks

Sumit Kumar I'm New Here 11 hours ago

I've also sent the email

Vinícius Cassol 9 hours ago

Email already sent, but no answer til now.

Katie Connor 5 hours ago

Email sent. Eagerly awaiting subtasks in our project. Thanks much!

Robert Antoniewicz 2 hours ago • edited

Email sent. Thanks @Julien Femia 

Karine Jannetta I'm New Here 2 hours ago

Sent! :)

30 votes
Alexey Matveev [cPrime] Community Leader Oct 22, 2018

Hello,

Subtasks are not available yet in next-gen projects. But they are on the roadmap. They will be available later. You can find the roadmap for next-gen projects here:

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software#result-066d462c

Angelo Loria Oct 22, 2018

Thank you, appreciate the quick response!

Alexey Matveev [cPrime] Community Leader Oct 22, 2018

You are welcome!

Like maxence likes this
Furqan Iqbal Oct 24, 2018

Hi @Alexey Matveev [cPrime] - any idea what is the timeframe of "available later" for sub tasks?

Alexey Matveev [cPrime] Community Leader Oct 24, 2018

@Furqan Iqbal I am not sure, I am a Jira user like you.

Nathan Panuco Oct 31, 2018

This is extremely surprising - missing this feature alone caused me to not even start using the Next Generation Projects. Shame - they looked really cool but I can't use them without subtasks. 

Like # people like this
Neil Rampton Nov 01, 2018 • edited Nov 27, 2018

Also started looking at moving my project to the Next-gen but if we cant create sub-tasks under a Issue then have to stay on the classic project 

Like # people like this
Ellyza Marthadicta Nov 05, 2018

Is there any other ways to move our subtasks from Classic to NG? Should we change the "Subtask" type to "Task" before we migrate it?

Alexey Matveev [cPrime] Community Leader Nov 05, 2018

If you change subtasks to tasks, then you will be able to move your subtasks to a next-gen project. But these subtasks will loose connection to the parent task.

Ellyza Marthadicta Nov 05, 2018

Not a problem if I lose the connection to the parent task because my goal is to have all issues in the next-gen.

How can I change subtask to task in a massive way? Kindly help.

Thanks!

Like Cyril Bouthors likes this
Nam Abban Nov 09, 2018

I bulk changed my sub tasks to tasks within my current Jira project, then moved the converted tasks to my new next-gen Jira project.

Shane Beehler Nov 14, 2018

Sub tasks may also be a game changer for us. Would love to know the timeline on this feature.

Like Rogelio Jimenez likes this
Truong Ba Loc Nov 14, 2018

also me, subtask will be our game changer, please deliver it asap :(

Like Gin Gindre likes this
Miķelis Kaņeps Nov 27, 2018

Are there some estimates for "COMING SOON" features? Why isn't Jira using the new roadmap for the "Next-gen roadmap"?

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
Nidhi Jindal Mar 22, 2019

Hi All,

Do we have any update by when we will be able to use the creation of Sub-Task functionality in Jira Cloud?

Regards

Nidhi

Ihor Kosyriev I'm New Here Mar 26, 2019

5 months passed...

Like # people like this
Josh Luth Apr 15, 2019

We really need this NOW. What is the hold up??

Like # people like this
YK Kuang I'm New Here Apr 16, 2019

We need subtask back to Jira NOW. Please! 

What is the roadmap, please? 

Like # people like this
Doris Apr 23, 2019

Please add subtasks ><

Like # people like this
Simon Beasley Apr 29, 2019

i wish i had read this before opting to use next-gen for my projects! i have wasted a lot of time

Like Mario Cueva likes this
Drew Meeks May 02, 2019

Simon, Same here. 

Michael Roland I'm New Here May 02, 2019

Subtasks, Versions and estimates in hours :) otherwise I am a big fan of NextGen

Cassiano Vellames I'm New Here May 03, 2019

Waiting for subtasks here to

Mario Cueva I'm New Here May 05, 2019

Where are they??? when will they become available? why are we still waiting?

This is the reason people are hesitant to upgrade.. because the stuff they rely upon on a daily basis gets swept out from underneath them.

Karine Jannetta I'm New Here Thursday • edited

Is this seriously still not a thing??? Any updates as to when this should be released?

Peter Bojkov I'm New Here Friday

+1  would very much like to have sub-tasks...

Any update on that matter? No having this issue makes the "next-gen projects" basically unusable for SCRUM teams. 

22 votes
Patrick Cooper Jan 09, 2019

Another vote from me for getting Subtasks in next-gen projects ASAP.

11 votes
Joe Marshall Dec 04, 2018

We need subtasks, too.

Any update on availability or a release date?

Joelle Angel Dec 05, 2018

Looking for the same!

Like # people like this
Dima Kondratyuk Dec 14, 2018

Sub-tasks even mentioned in next gen project documentation: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-issues-and-sub-tasks-764478439.html

It is very confusing and frustrating they are 'in place' but can't be used properly.

Alas, using next-gen project caused our team more pains than gains so far :(

Like # people like this
Daniel Serodio Mar 20, 2019

This is confusing indeed, but the documentation you linked is not for next-gen projects :(

10 votes
Chris Curnow Jan 13, 2019 • edited Feb 07, 2019

The roadmap has been saying sub-tasks are "coming soon" since October last year. How soon is soon?

If it's going to be another six months before sub-tasks are implemented I will switch back to Classic now.

It just seems Atlassian has gone quiet on what's happening with Next-Gen.

This is cause for concern.

EDIT 8/1/2019

Since I wrote this answer Atlassian has provided a lot more information. We still don't have sub-tasks but we have assurances they are working very hard on getting them out ASAP. I suggest everyone follows this issue:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17155?focusedCommentId=1923019&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-1923019

7 votes
Mads Donkin Jan 09, 2019

Another vote here. Any time estimate on it?

6 votes
Ulrich Ganzhorn Nov 16, 2018

Yes, we also neeeeeeed the subtask

Herman Xiao Dec 03, 2018

well, as a walk around, you could use epic as story and task as sub tasks...

Neil Rampton Dec 04, 2018

@Herman Xiao How would I move my current project with multiple tasks and subtasks to use Epic and task ? I am unable to recreate due to the amount of issues in my backlog 

Herman Xiao Dec 04, 2018

you can bulk convert all subtasks to tasks, then move story to epic and attach tasks to the epic

6 votes
Kervin Njohana Dec 19, 2018 • edited

How can we be notified for when subtask is available in next-gen?

6 votes
Toni Pakarinen I'm New Here Jan 09, 2019

+1 - next gen projects without subtasks is blocking us from starting using the next gen projects. I'm surprised Atlassian cannot even provide "jan2019" or at minimum Q1'19 estimate for the arrival. "Coming soon" can mean 'anything'....

5 votes
Alexandra Hably Dec 15, 2018

+ for subtasks from here, too. Having subtasks would be so useful for us, too! It would be awesome if you could prioritize their development.

5 votes
Maxim Hansen Jan 22, 2019

+1 

This has been "on the roadmap" for over 4 months now... I thought the whole point of using Jira Cloud was that you get more rapid feature updates?

Not being able to break down the cards into more specific working items is infuriating, since not everything is an Epic that needs to go into the roadmap.

We'd be happy with even simpel "checklist" capabilities in the markdown/description, but we don't even get that...

4 votes
Rob Ellis Nov 28, 2018

And Subtasks HAVE to be available to be added to the board - not just issues/stories. Otherwise board becomes pretty useless.

4 votes
Colin Mendez Feb 20, 2019

+1 on adding subtasks - This is pretty important guys!

4 votes
Bogdan Bystritskiy Feb 28, 2019

+100500 for subtasks in next-gen projects

Alejandro Sánchez Feb 28, 2019

Lol but i hope they count your +100,500 

4 votes
Marco A Pirrongeli I'm New Here Mar 21, 2019

Is there any ETA for this deployment in Jira?

Thank you

3 votes
Dave Tanner Dec 16, 2018

I have just started with Next gen and missed that SubTasks are not available. How long is coming soon? Or can I transfer a Next Gen project to classic?

nguyenn I'm New Here Dec 17, 2018

The only way to convert next-gen project to a classic project is to create a classic project and move all issues from the next-gen project to the this classic project.

3 votes
Emmanuele Massimi Dec 17, 2018

I've also just recently started a next-gen project and it would be nice to know what's the estimate for sub-tasks. Thanks!

3 votes

Need subtasks...... We just set up all of our epics and storys and sub tasks is really important for our workflow. A previous project we are finishing has this capability. Kind of weird that next gen doesn't.

3 votes
Ryan Richardson Jan 07, 2019

Subtasks please!

3 votes
Simon Dotschuweit Jan 18, 2019

neeeeeeeeeed this like yesterday +1

3 votes
Maryia Asayonak I'm New Here Feb 11, 2019

Hi everyone! +10000 for subtasks in next-gen projects

Out team is also suffering without the subtasks. Can be a notification for this feature implementation? As the roadmap of Atlassian doesn't give many insights.

We would readlly appreciate it!

Best

Maria

3 votes
Adam Flaxman I'm New Here Feb 11, 2019

Loving the next-gen projects. Of course +1 for subtasks. Thanks for your work

3 votes

Waiting for sub-tasks on the Next-gen projects. Thanks.

Ian M Apr 22, 2019

I'm pretty stunned next-gen does not have sub-tasks. This is a feature in the most basic of task management apps. Is there another version of Jira we can use that has a minimum basic feature set for project management? I considering to move away from Atlassian

@Ian M, you can use Jira Classic projects with all their beauty and rich feature set (including sub-tasks).

3 votes
Aaron Thomas Feb 18, 2019 • edited

Also waiting for sub-tasks before Next Gen projects can be used at our end. Really want to start using Next Gen Atlassian, please can we get a move on with this?

2 votes
Mohammed AbuJubara I'm New Here Jan 09, 2019

Dears,

is there away ti switch back to my old jira from next Gen???

Like anthony.carbutt likes this
2 votes
Mohammed AbuJubara I'm New Here Feb 18, 2019

can someone from AtlaSSian (jira)  employees check on the Trello app they are using the road map for this featuer , i am sure now that you are not using jira for development .???!!!  because no answers ??!!!

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Try Jira Cloud for Outlook: Organize your work without leaving your inbox

Hi Atlassian community, My name is Max and I work on the product integration team at Atlassian. I am pleased to announce the early access program for the Jira Cloud add-in for Outlook. This add-in...

1,144 views 2 13
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you