It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Startup decisions and lock in

G.M. Pearson I'm New Here Thursday

As a newbie admin user, I am seeing this pattern a lot on JIRA, and it leads to an extremely bad user experience.  Please tell me I'm doing it all wrong, and explain to me what I should be doing!

Here's one example:

On Project creation, I'm asked whether I want a classic project or a next gen project. I'm new to this so I ask around. 'Next gen' seems to get the vote, but it doesn't look like a simple decision. But surely I can change my mind later...but I must get on, so Next Gen it is.

Down the road I have to choose Kanban or Scrum. Kanban seems to fit my case better, but again, not a simple choice.

I load up a project. Now I discover a whole host of restrictions imposed by those choices. Let's take one. Only one Sprint at a time. Maybe Scrum would have been better. But there's no way to change to Scrum now.

Search the mailing lists. Well, there's a Lab solution for parallel sprints, but not in Next Gen. OK, how do I switch to a classic project? Answer, I can't do that either. 

These are not the only examples. How can I reorganise and make an existing task a sub-task? Answer: Recreate it. Really? Are you serious?

I thought we had eliminated 'modal' user interfaces like this back in the 80s.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

881 views 7 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you