Standardizing default user groups?

Lisa Brown May 12, 2017

We currently have an inconsistent mix of former and new default user groups, including:

users
confluence-users
jira-users
developers

Currently, when creating a new user, the only default groups they are added to are confluence-users and jira-users.

If we remove the "users" group, will anyone in confluence-users / jira-users still have access to permissions granted to "users" within the respective application?

Also, we want to add developers as a default group when users are invited. How can this be done?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2017

No.  If you remove a group, then it's gone, along with everything it granted.  Because it's not there any more.

To put new users into a group by default, add them to the "can use" permission in global permissions, then when you add them, they'll take the group

Lisa Brown May 15, 2017

Ahh... I definitely won't remove the old default group then :)

I found where to set default groups under Site admin > Application access > View configuration where you can then make groups default or non-default per application. So now I have all old and new groups set to default.

The global permissions looks to be for JIRA only but still useful for defining permissions for each group... I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Suggest an answer