Sprint closure with dropped tasks

Deleted user February 4, 2021

In my project, initially I configured the active sprint columns  as pending, ongoing, dropped  and done( 4 columns). However with this configuration, the sprint closure is not possible. Sprint is not allowed to close with tasks/subtasks under dropped column ! Strange.

Then after, I merged dropped in to done with 3 column configuration, then the closure is possible. The concern is, the drag and drop is bit tricky. Engineers by mistake drop their sub tasks to dropped instead of done as both are configured in the same column. 

My question is can you program to allow closure of sprints with a dedicated "dropped" column having tasks in it?  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2021

Hello @[deleted] 
I understand your problem when engineers do the by mistake act :) and it can be educated.

A sprint cannot close with open subtasks for an issue.
Can you check your workflow and how your status are managed.

If your workflow needs such a setup then try the API, but here is what i would do.

For the dropped column -- I add a status called Cancelled, and this resembles a done status in the workflow (meaning it is in green), and you can close your sprints and things will look neat.
Guide your Engineers to push an issue to the dropped column when it has tobe cancelled (set your workflow status to transition all for the Cancelled status)

check out the jira Status documentation

and if you are looking to customize your sprints you can try it out with the Jira REST API

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-software/REST/7.3.1/
There is one to update the sprint. (check the methods under Sprint), with this you can add your logic and try it out. (i have not tried it)

Hope this helps you!

Deleted user February 5, 2021

Thank You Sudarshan for your quick response. 

Today I don't see a cancelled status in my board. I have the Dropped  status. However I dont see the status name "Dropped" in the documentation page link you had shared. Strange ?
Let me talk to my Jira admins on this and will get back.

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2021

ahh ok, there may be some naming changes at your site (the Jira documentation is a default) , but overall i meant cancelled as dropped.
its better to check with your site admin.

Hope my answer helped you understand the situation better :) 

Deleted user March 2, 2021

Hello @Sudarshan my Jira admins had a check and they confirm that a resolved issue has to be at the  rightmost column in the sprint board else sprint cannot be closed ! This means that I cannot have a column dedicated for dropped/cancelled as suggested by you !  Is JIRA programmed to check that  all resolved sub-tasks are to be in the rightmost column ? 

I further browsed the archives in the community and found this page

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Cancelled-issues-dragged-on-from-sprint-to-sprint/qaq-p/1019310

This means Done has to be in the last column.  I have no way than to map my dropped/cancelled status to the last column along with done ! So there is no solution for my situation than to educate the team !

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2021

Picture1.png

@[deleted] My suggestion is like the picture i have attached here.
Any status which is in Green means its a Done item.
an Organisation needs not have just one Done status, but there could be variants, so check with your Admin and try to create a status on the same accords, that is possible and it works.

Regarding the Rightmost column as mentioned by Jack in the Thread, It meant normally Jira or a flow based working approach recommends to have the final status items to the rightmost this is to ensure we have a good visualization of the activities and many teams follow this. (To-do, WIP, Done)

In the example which I have shown, the Cancelled status is the final (meaning its resolution = Resolved, or an equivalent to completed or answered, or Won't Do)

NOTE: the Cancelled Status should not be connected to another status, else there could be a chance where your engineers can do a by mistake move again, so here it means, an engineer can move an item from any given status to cancelled, but not the other way.

Deleted user March 2, 2021

Thanks again Sudarshan. 

I do have a dropped status, which I guess is equivalent of cancelled. 

But then, concern is, if I create a column like in the image you have shown, cancelled status not being mapped to the last column, I cannot close the sprint. I have to have the cancelled status mapped to my last column to close the sprint.

Is there a way I can have cancelled/dropped as a separate column but not as the last column and still I can close the sprint ? Like  in the image ..Today if my board is configured like this, I cannot close the sprint . 

image.png

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2021

@[deleted]  Sorry, I think i have deviated to a different thought.

I missed seeing the Sub-task in your initial question.
In a sprint, if a story has a sub task, unless all the sub tasks are closed the sprint will not close.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver080/completing-a-sprint-967899283.html

So in your case, you will have to not use sub-tasks., you could use another type of a parent issuetype.

Deleted user March 11, 2021

OK. So there is no way but to map dropped/done...subtasks to the last column :-( Tough for me as it leads to human error of dropping to a wrong box .But I guess there is no other choice. 

Thank You. 

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2021

There is no way with your current solution / workflow.
but if the human error increases and if its costly, then you can think of a change in process flow.! :) (opportunity for an improvement stunt) :D 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events