• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sprint closure with dropped tasks

In my project, initially I configured the active sprint columns  as pending, ongoing, dropped  and done( 4 columns). However with this configuration, the sprint closure is not possible. Sprint is not allowed to close with tasks/subtasks under dropped column ! Strange.

Then after, I merged dropped in to done with 3 column configuration, then the closure is possible. The concern is, the drag and drop is bit tricky. Engineers by mistake drop their sub tasks to dropped instead of done as both are configured in the same column. 

My question is can you program to allow closure of sprints with a dedicated "dropped" column having tasks in it?  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sudarshan TS Community Leader Feb 04, 2021

Hello @Malathi P 
I understand your problem when engineers do the by mistake act :) and it can be educated.

A sprint cannot close with open subtasks for an issue.
Can you check your workflow and how your status are managed.

If your workflow needs such a setup then try the API, but here is what i would do.

For the dropped column -- I add a status called Cancelled, and this resembles a done status in the workflow (meaning it is in green), and you can close your sprints and things will look neat.
Guide your Engineers to push an issue to the dropped column when it has tobe cancelled (set your workflow status to transition all for the Cancelled status)

check out the jira Status documentation

and if you are looking to customize your sprints you can try it out with the Jira REST API

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-software/REST/7.3.1/
There is one to update the sprint. (check the methods under Sprint), with this you can add your logic and try it out. (i have not tried it)

Hope this helps you!

Thank You Sudarshan for your quick response. 

Today I don't see a cancelled status in my board. I have the Dropped  status. However I dont see the status name "Dropped" in the documentation page link you had shared. Strange ?
Let me talk to my Jira admins on this and will get back.

Sudarshan TS Community Leader Feb 05, 2021

ahh ok, there may be some naming changes at your site (the Jira documentation is a default) , but overall i meant cancelled as dropped.
its better to check with your site admin.

Hope my answer helped you understand the situation better :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you