Show changes only in issue history?

Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2014

The issue history gets confusing after many changes, so it would be great to have a function "Changes only", where you won't see the whole history, but the changes only.

Is there a functionality for that in JIRA? Or a plugin?

We are using JIRA 5.2.6 right now.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2014

The thing is that our product owners don't write one-sentence-user stories, but many lines of description. So if they change some single word, the whole text is displayed in the history.

But I see your input... I guess I'll mark this answered.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2014

Ah, I see, they want a "diff" type display for text fields.

I'm not aware of anything that will do that in Jira.

0 votes
Deleted user June 7, 2021

Perhaps in history, where a change to the description is logged, show only the changes.
Examples: 

Updated date/time, user name

"red" changed to "blue"

"right aligned" removed

"mandatory field" added

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2014

What do you mean by changes? Any editing of a field, addition of a comment, or reassignment is a change. Do you mean changes from the last time YOU looked at it? If so that would be difficult to implement and would probably entail using cookies which means if you logon from another machine or your company has the browser set to delete cookies and temp files when closed for security reasons it wouldn't work if you close the browser.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2014

The history is, quite simply, a list of changes to the issue.

I don't think you're making a mistake in what you're asking for here - you want to see less of the changes that go into the history. But there's no rule to tell us what parts you do want to see?

Suggest an answer