Should I create separate projects if there are multiple SLA rqmts?

Kim White April 22, 2023

Currently when an issue needs to be escalated to a certain department, a field value is edited to select that department.  SLAs are not able to be tracked, specifically Time to First Response and Time to Resolution.  

Is it recommended that I create a separate Projects for departments that have different SLA requirements?  

Also, is it recommended that when tickets are escalated, that each department is created in the Workflow versus a Field (I.e. “Escalate To” as a Status and they will be able to select which department to escalate to)?  Or is there a better way of doing this.

We are using Data Center.  

Thanks for your help!

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2023

Hi @Kim White and welcome to the community,

I'll try to answer to your individual questions:

Currently when an issue needs to be escalated to a certain department, a field value is edited to select that department.  SLAs are not able to be tracked, specifically Time to First Response and Time to Resolution.  

You can create a new SLA called e.g. Time to First Response Escalated and have it running only if the dpt field is populated and when the issue transitioned to escalated (or replied to customer when being on escalated issue).

Also, is it recommended that when tickets are escalated, that each department is created in the Workflow versus a Field (I.e. “Escalate To” as a Status and they will be able to select which department to escalate to)?  Or is there a better way of doing this.

The above really depends on what statistics/reports you want to obtain from your tickets. I would assume that usually a custom field with all the dpt, with only one status would be enough for you to get the reports your want. But again, it really really depends on whether using the solution I mention can get you the data you want. So I would suggest that you start by analyzing the data you want to acquire and based on them design your solution.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2023

@Kim White Welcome to the Atlassian community

I would think about how the customer would be impacted by multiple projects.  If having multiple projects does not matter then you should think about how agents and reporting will work.  If the same people will be working on the issues or you need to be able to report easily on all the different areas you are escalating to then having a single project probably makes the most sense.  

You can easily setup multiple SLAs that are only applicable to specific issues that meet the SLA criteria.  You can even have multiple conditions for a single SLA.  https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/create-service-level-agreements-slas/ 

0 votes
Kateryna_v_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 30, 2023

Hi @Kim White 

Here is a good Use case of how you can organize SLA control for different Departments using Custom fields and the SLA Time and Report add-on (which my team developed).

2_2023-04-30_8-19-04.png

4_2023-04-30_8-19-04.png
I see your JSM tags, but you wrote that you use Data Center, so I warn you that the add-on works only for Jira Cloud and has a trial period of 30 days.

I hope you will find helpful information there.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events