Setting up default groups for new users

Damon Gaylor May 20, 2015

We used to be able to setup default groups for new users, but this seems to have gone away.  Is that correct?  I'm basically wanting most users to have access to everything in JIRA and Confluence, but we have vendors and executives that I want to restrict access for.  Anyone have suggestions for the best way to admin this?  I'm doing it with groups, just want to add another group to default for new users because this manual step keeps getting missed.

1 answer

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2015

Please refer our documentation below regarding this matter. It should help you on this case! smile

Automatic group membership

To automatically add newly-created users to a particular group, you can either:

source: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Groups

Cheers

L.F

Artemis Systems Team August 31, 2017

Hi

Got the same issue, I need to assign a different default group ( we need to avoid jira-users). Could you explain the procedure for Jira v7.3 ?

Thanks

Amy Taylor October 11, 2017

@Luciano Fagundes  Please clarify how to do this on the current version. I'm running into the same issue as Artemis above. Used to be very easy to manage user permissions and groups but I am at a point where this seems impossible as an admin and none of the Jira docs explain the issue I'm running into. 

Adding new client projects which require restricted access to their individual project ONLY! i.e. cannot be part of Jira-Users group

• Create new group specifically for client
    • Any new group I create does not have an associated classification i.e. Admin, Default etc... why is this?
  • Add user group to user ID and remove all other groups in hopes it would restrict to that specific project. Have done this for ALL clients up until recently.
    • This does not work any more. I am now required to still have Jira-Users added to their profile which in turn gives them access to all projects for our company.

Please explain step by step how this works and what needs to be done. I am setup as an admin and developer so there should be no permissions restrictions. 

Like Andy Pitman likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2017

You need to split your groups up.

• Have one group for "these guys can log in" and do NOT use it for any project access.
  • Have a second group for "can use some/all projects"
  • Have a third group for "clients"

The easiest way to achieve this (which hasn't really changed since Jira 3.6, although the default groups created by installing Jira 7 have) is not ideal, but quick:

Create a new login group and place everyone in it, add it to the "can log in" permission.  Remove Jira-Users from "can log in".  Remove your clients from jira-users, put them in their own group and then use that group in the roles that let them into their projects.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer