Setting customer password for access to Jira service desk portal

Karen Garrod January 6, 2020

Hi All, 

I am currently implementing a brand new service desk project/portal into our company and would like to setup the organisations and customers without sending out the initial sign up email. 

I have added in the organisation and added a customer against it (I have disabled all emails so i know they wont receive the sign up email where it asks them to set the password) however i cannot find how to set the password manually in the system.

I need to make sure that the customer can only see what we want them to see and cannot access any other projects setup as we have a development service desk project that we do not want them seeing. 

I hope this make sense. 

Thanks in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2020

Hello Karen,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

In order to set a password for a customer, it's necessary to go to Administration > Jira Service Desk > Click on … next to the desired customer and change the password.

Screenshot 2020-01-06_18-08-09-367.png

When we add a customer to a project, if other Service Desk projects are closed, they won't have access to anything but the project you added them.

For a project to be closed, the necessary configuration is to go to Project settings > Customer permissions > Who can access the portal and send requests to Service Desk Project? > Customers my team adds to the project > Save.

Doing that on all Service Desk projects will assure that only people added manually to the project will have access to see the customer portal for the specific project.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Karen Garrod January 7, 2020

Thank you so much for the help - i have managed to set the password and access the portal.

I can see that the customer can see our development/training portal which they shouldnt be able to. I think this is due to the same organisations being added to both portals, is this correct? 

Would i need to remove the organisations from our dev/training portal in order for this to work?

Thanks 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2020

If the organization was added to the other project, they will be able to see the portal too, because all customers added to the org will be automatically added to a project if you add the organization. 

In order to work, you need to remove the organization and then manually add the customers that need to access the dev/training portal.

Like Gomez_ Daniel likes this
Srikanth Ganipisetty March 19, 2021

In the Jira-Service Management Cloud, I can't see an option to make operations on a customer, ie. I can't set a password, delete etc. I know how to delete them using people in project settings, but I'd like to set password for them like @Karen Garrod

as we have the same need now @Angélica Luz, how do we can solve this? 

Javier Barquin July 22, 2022

Thank you for your answer @Angélica Luz , it was really helpful. Is there any way to not permit customers change the password we have setted for them?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 29, 2022

Hi @Javier Barquin,

Customers will have the ability to reset their password via the login page, so it's not possible to prevent them from doing this.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Javier Barquin likes this
1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 19, 2021

Hello @Srikanth Ganipisetty,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

In order to change the customers’ password or edit their full name, it’s necessary to be a site administrator.

If you have this permission, you can go to Cog icon > User management. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 11.27.16.png

Then, on the next page, click on Jira Service Management where you can see the list of customers and manage their details.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 11.28.14.png

Kind regards,
Angélica

Srikanth Ganipisetty March 19, 2021

Thanks for the quick response, @Angélica Luz  I already figured it out this morning. But good to have it here, because I forgot the steps, Lol 

4 Questions: 

1) How to move a customer who isn't in Organization without adding it from the Organization copying all email addresses again, and deleting from the customer page? 

2) How to move a customer from one organization to another? 

3) How to move an organization from one project to another? or sharing the same with another project? 

4) We have customer export in the admin page. but do we have a similar way to import customers from the excel sheet other than copying all email addresses in the customer box? 

Can you suggest? 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2021

Hi @Srikanth Ganipisetty,

1) How to move a customer who isn't in Organization without adding it from the Organization copying all email addresses again, and deleting from the customer page? 

2) How to move a customer from one organization to another? 

It’s not possible to move customers to organizations or move them to another one. It will be necessary to manually add/remove them.

There is a feature suggesting the implementation of this ability:

3) How to move an organization from one project to another? or sharing the same with another project? 

You can add existing Organizations to projects. Go to the Customers’ page and click on “Add organization”. It will show Orgs created in other projects. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 10.26.52.png

4) We have customer export in the admin page. but do we have a similar way to import customers from the excel sheet other than copying all email addresses in the customer box? 

It’s not possible to import them, but you can copy the list of the emails and add to the “Add customers” box and add/invite them all at once. 

Suggest an answer