Setting Task Assignee to Component Leader in Jira Automation

Dean Lee March 29, 2023

Dear Jira Support Team,

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to seek your assistance in setting up a Jira Automation rule to assign tasks to the respective component leader automatically. I have tried using Smart Values and the "copy" functionality, but I haven't been successful in achieving the desired result.

My objective is to have the assignee of a task set to the component leader whenever a task's component changes. I have explored using Smart Values to extract component leader information, but I couldn't find a direct way to achieve this.

Could you please confirm if there is a built-in functionality or method in Jira to accomplish this, either through Smart Values or other available features? If this is not currently supported, is there a workaround that I can implement to achieve this outcome? Additionally, if this feature is not available at the moment, are there any plans to introduce it in the near future?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or suggestions you can provide. Your expertise in this matter is crucial for our team's efficient task management and assignment.

Thank you in advance for your assistance, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

DeanLee
Hardware Origin
lidian@hworigin.c

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2023

Hi @Dean Lee , Welcome

You can achieve this in Jira Automation by creating a rule that triggers when the component field changes. Here are the steps:

Create a new automation rule in Jira.
Set the trigger to "Component updated".
Set the condition to "Issue matches JQL" and define the JQL query that matches the issues you want to target.
In the actions section, select "Update issue fields" and then "Assignee".
In the Assignee field, select "Copy from another field".
In the Source field, select "Component lead".
This will automatically set the assignee to the component leader whenever the component field is updated.

I hope this helps!

Dean Lee March 29, 2023

Dear Oday Rafeh,

Thank you for your reply and the detailed steps to create an automation rule for setting the assignee to the component leader when the component is updated. Your guidance is much appreciated.

However, I would like to inform you that Mohamed Benziane has already provided me with a solution to this issue. I am grateful for his response, and I wanted to thank you as well for taking the time to help me with this matter.

Your willingness to support and share your expertise is highly appreciated. I hope you have a great day!

Best regards,

DeanLee

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Setting-Task-Assignee-to-Component-Leader-in-Jira-Automation/qaq-p/2314346

Like Oday Rafeh likes this
Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2023

Thanks, @Dean Lee for the update. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events