Set permissions on custom field.

Bunty October 28, 2018

Hello Team,

Is there any way to set permissions on the custom fields that should be viewable and editable only by project Admins?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Manikanta.

2 answers

3 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2018

Hello,

There is no permission like this out of the box. 

You could remove the required custom field from the edit screen and create a transition with a screen, which contains the required custom fields. You could add the User In Project Role condition to this transition to let only users in the Project Administrator role to use it.

It would solve the edit problem,  but it would not solve the view problem.

If you want to solve both the view and the edit problem, you should use an add-on:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/23216/field-security-plugin-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

0 votes
Karthiga Sethuraj July 2, 2021

Hello, Is this still true. Is Atlassian never going to implement field level security ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

I can't speak for them, but I would assume that they will never do it.

Their software is heavily marketed as collaborative.  You can't usefully collaborate if you can't see parts of what you are supposed to be collaborating on.  So I really really doubt you'll ever see anyone selling collaboration software with anti-patterns in it.

Suggest an answer