Service Desk "Organizations" questions

Ben Simpson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 10, 2017

I am in the process of setting up Jira Service Desk to evaluate switching from our current solution, to take advantage of some of the extra features it has, and I have a couple questions. 

The solution we currently use allows us to set up different "Sites" per customer, since we support multiple clients (think MSP, but for our application). Within these sites, we can configure it so that any email that comes from a specific domain will get assigned to the proper site. For example, we have two sites configured, Gmail and Yahoo. When user1@gmail.com submitts a request through email, it will automatically get assigned to the Gmail site, and when user1@yahoo.com submitts a request, it gets assigned to the Yahoo site. Its set up in such a way that the user doesnt need an account on the system to open a ticket, but we can later convert it to an account if needed.  Neither of these sites can see each others requests, but any other user associated with these sites can see the sites request.

I know that I can configure Service Desk to do part of this with the Organization feature, where I can assign users to a specific organization, and also allow anyone to create a request, but here are my questions:

1. What happens when a user that doesnt have an account submitts an email request? Will it get assigned to a default Organization, and we will have to move it to the proper one? 

2. Is there a way to configure Service Desk to look at the incoming email domain, and automatically assign it to an Organization? Can I create a workflow where apon request arrival it checks the incoming email domain and assigns it to the proper organization? If not currently, is this on the roadmap? If not on the roadmap, is there a place I can sugest it? 

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2017

If a new user submits an email request they will be added with no Organization.

We do have a request open to assign by email domain as you suggest: Email domain organization association

I hope the evaluation goes well!

Ben Simpson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 10, 2017

Yep, I saw that just now, and voted for it. Hopefully it gets picked up and worked on, doesnt look like there is any update on it.

Suggest an answer