Service Desk email notification shared not working

Mao Lee March 14, 2019

Hello,

I am trying to setup a service desk in Jira.  When a user submit a helpdesk ticket, they will get a notification stating that we received their request.  I want to be able to set the notification where the user and his/her manager also received the notification.  In the bottom of the email notification, there is a spot say "This is shared with Rena Smith and Joe West".  Right now, it's only saying This is shared with Rena Smith.  Does anyone know how to get this to work properly where it would shared with the manager as well?  Any feedbacks would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2019

Hi Mao,

So you cant' do this out of the box that I know about.  We manage this by keeping the Manager of our users as a property on each of our users.  It's really handy for setting approvers when the employee is requesting something new.

We use workflow post function - Jira Workflow Toolbox - Read User property and we set a field value equal to that property.   So now the Manager is in a field in the Issue

If you want a watcher, you can use the post function - Jira Workflow Toolbox - Add/remove watchers and you can "add users in a field" OR in your notificaitions just add the field "Manager" to the Issue created notification.

If this needs to be a request participant, that's a bit trickier.  At that point you might need to get really advanced and use scriptrunner to do that.  Or look at Automation for Jira.

Not perfect, Hope that helps...

Susan

Mao Lee March 15, 2019

Thank you, I appreciate it.  It does help.  I'll look into the post function.

0 votes
Deleted user March 14, 2019

Hi @Mao Lee

How is JSD getting the line manager information from the user that submits the ticket?

Is the user sharing the ticket manually on the ticket's creation or is this automated?

Thanks

Mao Lee March 15, 2019

@[deleted]  Thanks for the reply.  I would like the notification to automatically include the manager in the email.  So, if I created a Helpdesk ticket, it will automatically added my manager to the customer notification email, I will get the email and my manager will get it as well.  I hope this make sense.

Deleted user March 15, 2019

Hi @Mao Lee

Unfortunately, JSD is not able to do this out-of-the-box. JSD has no organisational hierarchy within it which would then link to the emails sent out from an employee.  

Since you have JSD server you have control of the mail server so I wonder if there could be a script that forwards the notification onto the line manager. I am not sure how you could make this script dynamic so you would not have to keep updating it when employees start and finish or when a line manger changes. 

I will shout out to the other Champions and see if their is another solution.

Apologies I cannot be any further assistance.

Mao Lee March 15, 2019

Hi @[deleted] , no problem, thanks for trying.  I appreciate it.  I will check more on our side.  

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2019

Hi @Mao Lee ,

Do you have the hierarchy in an AD or something like that.

Then you can do this with an app like Active Directory Attribute sync maybe (I have to admit that I never tried this before). But maybe it's worth a look.

Mao Lee March 15, 2019

@Bastian Stehmann , I'm assuming you're asking if we are using nested AD group?  No, we are not.  Thanks, I will look into it.

Suggest an answer