Sending JIRA Logs to Elasticsearch Kibana

Mark Finta March 1, 2018

I want to hook up our JIRA logs to logstash so they can be seen in Kibana.  I know it involves editing the log4j.properties file and I am pretty sure the web.xml but I do not know how to add in the appender into the properties file.  Anyone that has hooked their jira instance to Elasticsearch know how to do this?

3 answers

1 vote
Abhinav Varshney August 23, 2018

I have a similar question. I'm trying to setup the filebeat on the jira windows server. A sample filebeat config would be helpful to ensure we are capturing the relevant logs and in the right format.

0 votes
Zsolt Barat June 14, 2019

I would have a similar question. How to filter Jira and generally Atlassian Java logfiles.Some examples for Grok patterns (Logstash) ans/or Filebeat would be very helpful.

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2018

Hi Mark,

I did some research and found a couple posts that may help:

Those are just a few that I found that seemed the most relevant.  Hopefully those help and can lead to other resources that might be of assistance!

Cheers,

Branden

Mark Finta March 2, 2018

Hello Brandon, thank you for the reply.  The biggest question I have with the documents provided is that none of them mention anything about editing JIRA's log4j.properties or the web.xml file.  For the systems that our company currently has configured into kibana.  They need to add a filter to the web.xml and add the appender to the log4j.xml.  So I need to figure out how to translate an xml edit to a .properties file edit.  Any help on that front would be superb.  We currently have it configured where we do not need to make any additional configuration changes on the logstash application.  So the changes need to happen on the systems that want to send logs to logstash.  

Suggest an answer