Send email when a comment is made on closed issue

We have customers emailing which comments on our issues, but if they are closed we don't look at them so we miss the email.
Can we get an notification / email sent when a comment (The email) is made on a closed issue?
Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev Community Champion Jan 04, 2018

Hello,

Do you mean that if a user sends a email with a comment for a closed issue, the comment is actually added but you do not receive notifications? Because usually there is a status property in workflows which forbids editing issue while in the closed status. In this case a comment will be not added to the issue and you will not receive a notification.

Are those Jira Service Desk notifications?

Yes, we have mail handlers set up.

If you use Jira Service Desk then there are two notifications: for customers and agents. If you do not have Jira Service Desk then you provide all settings for notifications in the project notification scheme. There is not way to restrict notifications by status.  Have a look at the project notification scheme. What is there for Issue Commented event?

You can read more about notification schemes here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/creating-a-notification-scheme-938847330.html

Issue Commented notifies - Reporter, All watches and Current Assignee.

Then Reporter, All watchers and Assignee must get notifications even on closed issues. I searched the internet I found similair problems to yours but there were no solutions.

I would offer you to enable outgoing email logging and have a look at the logs. Also try to follow the KB below

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/notifications-troubleshooting-203394737.html

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,080 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot