Searching by approvers field in JIRA

tokuda July 7, 2019

I use JIRA cloud. And my team uses "approvers" field to request for reviewing casually. But I seem that we can not search by "approvers" field by using JQL. Please teach me how to search by "approvers" field on JIRA.

4 answers

4 votes
Zack Zhang November 26, 2022

Go to your Issue settings > FIELD > Custom Fields.

Choose Approvers > Edit Details, Change "Search Template" from None to "User Picker & Group Searcher"

Then you can search approvers in JQL.

Jawann Swislow August 29, 2023

This is the answer. Should be at the top. Thank you.

2 votes
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2019

Hi @tokuda ,

Please check this one:

• Approvals = approver("TANSU")

It finds requests that require or required approval by Tansu.

Functions:

image.png

Detailed info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/advanced-searching-fields-reference-765593716.html#Advancedsearching-fieldsreference-ApprovalsApprovals

Hope it helps.

Tansu

tokuda July 9, 2019

Thanks for your comments.

But my team doesn't use `Jira Service Desk`, so I can't use the function `Approvals`.

I want to filter by `approvers` without `Jira Service Desk`.

Like Samuel P likes this
Muaz Othman February 4, 2021

Hi @Tansu Akdeniz 

As @tokuda mentioned, this field is only available in "Jira Service Management" per the documentation you linked to.

Any suggestions on how to get a similar functionality in Jira Cloud?

Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

Hi,

You can simply use 

• Approvers = currentUser()

OR

• Approvers = userA

What do you want to search specifically?

Muaz Othman February 5, 2021

Tried this simple query:

project = "LG" AND Approvers = currentUser() ORDER BY created DESC

and got this error:

Field 'Approvers' is not searchable, it is only sortable.

Like # people like this
Jyoti Verma August 23, 2021

This was Great and helped me - thanks a lot

0 votes
Jeret Shuck January 12, 2022

I'm also looking for something similar. Effectively, I need something that is 

"Approvers is empty"

As others have posted, it seems like there is no way to use a JQL function on the "approvers" field on the Jira cloud currently.

0 votes
Jason Sweet December 10, 2019

Hello and sorry to hijack this question but I have the same problem.  I'm trying to filter on a specific name in the Approvers field, across multiple projects, some of which are service desk and some are classic business.  

I have tried:

status = "Awaiting Approval" AND Approvals = approver("rmitchell") ORDER BY created DESC

and get No Issues found.

Any advice here?  Thank you very much in advance.

Vanessa McGonigle March 4, 2020

If the approvers field contains more than one user that jql will not identify the issue as relevant to the jql. I'm not sure what the right query is though.

Corey Needham March 16, 2020

You can use the OR function to separate queries to both fields to return all of the results.

status = "Awaiting Approval" AND Approver = 5d7bd791458a170db4b0a687 OR status = "Awaiting Approval" AND Approvals = approver("Jason Sweet")

Where 5d7bd791458a170db4b0a687 is Jason Sweet's ID , it will return both Software and Servicedesk issues that Jason sweet has been or is an approver on that is currently "Awaiting Approval"

(TIP: if you type out the "Approver =  " part of the query you can search users by name and it will input the ID)

Suggest an answer