Script Runner- Update subtask custom field based on parent

laurahbantug April 9, 2018

Hi,

Scenario: My team sends a Tempo extract of hours logged on tickets to finance team once a month.  Before we send the report- we need to ensure all the ticket fields are flagged properly.  A major issue we encounter is when subtasks custom fields become out of sync from their parent tasks.  I have the subtasks inheriting parent custom fields on create- however when someone updates a field on the parent and forgets to update the children they can become out of sync.

Question: Can I get help writing a script I can run on the Script Runner console once a month before I pull the report to ensure all the parent and child tickets in the project are in sync?  Is this feasible or is there a better solution?  Thanks so much

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Roland Holban (Adaptavist)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2018

A better solution would be writing a script listener that fires on issueUpdated event and fills in the child custom fields accordingly. 

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/listeners.html#_custom_listeners

Rafael Moreira October 22, 2018

Hi,

I have the same problem and I have  try a code but nothing happend

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.event.type.EventDispatchOption
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue

def change = event?.getChangeLog()?.getRelated("ChildChangeItem")?.find {it.field == "Labels"}
if (change) {
    log.debug "Value changed from ${change.oldstring} to ${change.newstring}"
    // your actions if the field has changed
    def subtasks = event.issue.getSubTaskObjects()
    def customField = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Labels")
    if (subtasks){
        subtasks.each {it ->
            ((MutableIssue) it).setCustomFieldValue(customField, change.newstring)
            ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().updateIssue(event.user, ((MutableIssue) it), EventDispatchOption.DO_NOT_DISPATCH, false)
        }
    }
}

Can you help me please ?

Thank you

Alexander July 17, 2019

@Rafael Moreira Hi
Use it:

def change = event?.getChangeLog()?.getRelated("ChildChangeItem")?.find {it.field == "labels"}

Charles Huggins October 24, 2019

Hi Folks,

This mine script (works for me)

Perhaps it helps to some1 else.

import com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.ModifiedValue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.DefaultIssueChangeHolder

def event = event as IssueEvent
def change = event?.getChangeLog()?.getRelated("ChildChangeItem")?.find {it.field == "Contributors"}

if (event) {
def issue = event.issue
def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
def changeHolder = new DefaultIssueChangeHolder()

def targetField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(event.issue).find {it.name == "Contributors"}
def sourceField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(event.issue).find {it.name == "Contributors"}

targetField.updateValue(null, issue, new ModifiedValue(issue.getCustomFieldValue(targetField), issue.getCustomFieldValue(sourceField)), changeHolder)

//update the UserPicker2 in subtasks as well - with the value of UserPicker from parent issue
issue.subTaskObjects?.each { subtask ->
targetField.updateValue(null, subtask, new ModifiedValue(subtask.getCustomFieldValue(targetField), issue.getCustomFieldValue(sourceField)), changeHolder)
}
}
Like # people like this
Tanu January 13, 2020

Hi Guys,

I have a requirement where i need help.

When a custom field is getting updated in subtask , then changes should automatically reflect in parent task.

Please help

Thanks in advance.

Like Teja likes this
Tanu June 18, 2020

I have automated this now

Like Joe Yesh likes this
Joe Yesh July 10, 2020

Hi Tanu,

Can you share your code snippet if your automation is working fine?

I too same requirement where I need few fields in the parent should sync to sub-tasks whenever there is a change in parent ticket.

thanks

Tanu July 10, 2020

@Joe Yesh I have ended up using a postfunction available from JWME add-on, on subtask workflow. 

Copy field value to parent issue (JMWE add-on)Copy the value(s) of a field to a field of the parent issue
Like # people like this
Inayat N May 12, 2021

The listener @Charles Huggins works perfectly for issues edits.   The post functions that @Tanu pointed work great upon issue creation.

Sai Krishna Yadav Challendula September 1, 2021

Hi @Charles Huggins ,

Can you pls help out with this script. I would like to update the Assignee field value Parent to Subtask. If i update Parent assignee field value it should update for all Subtasks. Please find my below script.

import com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.ModifiedValue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.DefaultIssueChangeHolder

def event = event as IssueEvent
def change = event?.getChangeLog()?.getRelated("ChildChangeItem")?.find {it.field == "Assignee"}
log.warn("Assignee+++")
if (event) {
def issue = event.issue
def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
def changeHolder = new DefaultIssueChangeHolder()

def targetField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(event.issue).find {it.name == "Assignee"}
def sourceField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(event.issue).find {it.name == "Assignee"}

targetField.updateValue(null, issue, new ModifiedValue(issue.getCustomFieldValue(targetField), issue.getCustomFieldValue(sourceField)), changeHolder)
log.warn("Target++++")
//update the UserPicker2 in subtasks as well - with the value of UserPicker from parent issue
issue.subTaskObjects?.each { subtask ->
targetField.updateValue(null, subtask, new ModifiedValue(subtask.getCustomFieldValue(targetField), issue.getCustomFieldValue(sourceField)), changeHolder)
log.warn("Target,,,,,,")
}
}

I'm getting below error

error.PNGThanks,

Sai

Suggest an answer