Rules for clone

Martin Bayreuther August 7, 2011

This is now part 2 of my previous post:

Cloning issues:

We link our issues to a second project that keeps track of submits. Unfortunatly with a clone, everything is cloned, including the link to the original submits. However the whole point of cloning is to allow for a second submit in the next revision (for example if the fix didn't fully solve the problem and a second round of fixing needs to be done). So is there a way to define which fields should not be cloned by "Clone".

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2011

The JIRA Clone-Plus plugin has options to exclude fields from cloning as well as other customization enablers.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2011

No, the clone functionality in Jira is a simple, flat, non-configurable process. There are a couple of plugins available which control aspects of it ( See https://plugins.atlassian.com/search/with?q=clone&product=jira ), but most people end up having to write something that suits them. The last link on that list is a "script runner" which can make it much more easy.

I think the main reason it's limited is that no two people want the same thing from the clone function, so there's no way to agree on a specification that will work satisfactorily for a broad set of users. My main client at the moment has 5,000 users and I've got 12 requests for different forms of cloning which are all totally different, and three of which are utterly contradictory.

Suggest an answer