Roadmapping Epics that span multiple releases

Lewis Kite November 20, 2020

Hi, I have, let's say, 2 Epics - 'Users', 'Clients' - and I have, let's say, 3 releases / versions - 'V1', 'V2', 'V3'. I've got stories in 'Users' in V1, V2 & V3 and stories in Clients in V1 & V3. 

Currently my roadmap simply shows two solid horizontal bars through the next three months (three x monthly releases).

I'd much rather show individual stories on the roadmap but given that I can't do that can I at least show that work on Users occurs in all three months but work on Clients will only occur in M1 & M3?
Should I split the Epics into 'Users V1', 'Users V2', 'Users V3' etc?

Thanks
Lewis

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Winston Blick March 24, 2021

Hi @Lewis Kite on the Jira marketplace you'll find Productboard which is a dedicated product management system with roadmapping capabilities.

It allows you to add both epics and stories to your roadmaps, and even organize them under even higher level components like objectives (or initiatives/themes if you prefer).

Some additional benefits:

- Create a high-level product roadmap that can be shared with all your colleagues, not just product & engineering

- Easily manage many product roadmaps (based off the same underlying data, so all automatically stay up-to-date)

- Instantaneously filter roadmaps to see just the features that matter to a given customer or customer segment, based on actual feedback you've received

- Enjoy more capabilities to help you prioritize what goes on the roadmap in the first place

- A two-way integration with Jira supports seamless workflows between both systems

All in all, a great complement to Jira! Check it out if that sounds like that would address your need.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2020

The Roadmap is designed to be a high level view and so it is based on EPICs and not designed for detail story level scheduling.  

You can see individual stories under each EPIC and the status of work on those stories by clicking on the '>' sign in front of the EPIC, but at present it's not possible to view stories by release.

You could change your EPICs to align to your release dates as you suggest - and this will give you the view you're looking for - but an EPIC should be bound by the scope of the story it captures, not by a specific release. That said, your 'clients' and 'users' EPICs don't sound like EPIC stories so this may not be important to you.

0 votes
Lewis Kite November 20, 2020

Alternatively if there is a good, free plugin to facilitate adding / showing stories on the roadmap I'm happy to plug something in.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events