Restore a deleted issue

Linda Kragseth March 6, 2016

One of my coworkers accidentally deleted one issue from our JIRA on demand. We need to restore this issue. Do Atlassian have a back up so that you can help us restore it? I cannot see that we are able to do this by our selves. 

Thank you in advance for at quick reply.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
amit raj March 6, 2016
Linda Kragseth March 7, 2016

Thanks Amit smile

1 vote
Linda Kragseth March 6, 2016

Thanks Steven!

I'll contact Atlassian Support and hope they are able to help.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2016

No problem: We're happy to help here on this community but in this instance Support will be your best bet. Best of luck to you. 

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2016

You need to talk with Atlassian Support. From what I know they do not have backups but I am not familiar with their policy.

I cannot believe production systems allow users to have edit or delete permissions but it seems common. Consider removing those permissions and handling this situation with workflow transition.

0 votes
Henri van der Merwe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 9, 2024

Oh my word it is insane that Jira does not soft-delete or at least allow you to block deletes on what is a critical operational/transactional system!!

Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2024

Hi @Henri van der Merwe 

You can definitely setup the permission scheme to disallow any deletions. 

0 votes
Nino Kezherashvili October 22, 2023

Hello,

With the User Activity Audit Log, you can restore deleted issues.

You can check more details in the article as well: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-discussions/How-to-restore-deleted-issues-and-track-audit-logs/m-p/2509087#M21327

You can try the app and if you have any questions and/or suggestions, please let us know via this thread, by opening a ticket on our Service Desk and we can schedule a demo for the application.

Best regards 

Nino

0 votes
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2022

Hi All,

Once you delete something in Jira you have lost that data forever be it issues, attachments or any of the configuration objects.

Thats what inspired us at Revyz to build an app for simplifying backing up your cloud Jira instance which includes issues, attachments, comments, configuration objects and more.

Please visit our market place page to see all things we can help you with protecting your data in your Jira cloud instance - Revyz Backup & Restore 

Additional information is also available at - Revyz Backup & Restore for Jira Software Cloud

Also note Atlassian recommends that you backup your data per the SaaS Shared responsibilities 

I would love to get your feedback on what we are doing and how to improve given an opportunity.

Thank you

Vish

Reference -

Atlassian, Customer Shared Responsibilities - Very good reference doc

Atlassian Security Practices - An excellent reference of Atlassian Security practices

Suggest an answer