Resolution automatically set to Fixed once a Custom field is updated

Luca Naso August 23, 2018

I have created a custom field named "Tester" and then, in my workflow, I have configured a transition that automatically replaces the current value of the Assignee with the Tester one.

However, I notice an unexpected behaviour with issues that are created without a Tester. Let me explain: if I go to an issue that has been created without a Tester, and edit it to include a Tester, then the resolution is automatically set to "Fixed". This happens without changing nothing else on the issue. The issue is still in the same state (e.g. todo).

I am aware of how to change the Resolution with post-functions, but that works only when you have a transition. In this case, I am updating a field.

Is there a way to create some kind of post-functions with field updates? Looking around I have found that any field change generates an event and that one can use listeners to interact with events. However, I would like to avoid scripting my own listener, is there a GUI for this? (just like there is one for managing transition post-functions)

Let me be clear, what I want is just to remove this weird behaviour, e.g. I want no action to be taken when the custom field "Tester" is modified.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2018

It sounds like you have put the resolution field on the "edit" screen.  The field will take a value whenever it is on a screen that updates an issue.

Luca Naso August 24, 2018

Thanks, your comment helped me to solve the issue. I have removed Resolution from the edit screen (thus making it un-editable from the screen) and it looks like the issue has disappeared.

I am still uncertain about why this behaviour was shown only with the custom field Tester and not with others. I had the Resolution in the edit screen for a long time, and it was only when I created a new Custom field that I began to see the issue.

Maybe Resolution is updated only when a custom field is changed? or only when a custom field is changed from empty to some value?

Whatever, at this stage, I have set a default value for the custom field Tester and have removed Resolution from the edit screen. Hopefully will not experience the issue again.

Thanks again.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2018

So in the issue created without a Tester the issue is saved and then later you edit the issue, without going through a transition, and assign a tester to the Tester field the resolution is being set? If that is the case is sounds like there is a script or listener being invoked. If the 'edit' involves a transition I would say a post function is setting resolution. 

Luca Naso August 23, 2018

When I edit the issue to add a Tester I am not going through a transition. It's just a field update when editing the issue.

Two simple questions to help me proceed:

1. How can I check if there's a script or listener being invoked?
  2. How can I check if the 'edit' trigger a transition?

Thanks!

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2018

1. I don't know about script or listener. I don't use them. I've setup lots of instances that others will administer and they aren't programmers. 

2. The basic edit isn't going to trigger a transition, which makes me think something is going on in the background you're unaware of.  You probably thought of this; Is there a previous JIRA admin still working there? They may know.

Luca Naso August 24, 2018

I have investigated with other admins, but it looks like they didn't set anything custom on transitions.

Suggest an answer