Require Original estimate before Work logging

Hi,

Is there a possibility to require the task to be Originally estimated before first work log.

I mean, I do not want to have logged work on tasks, which do not have any estimations.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

Have you tried logging work in Tempo on issues with no original estimates? It sets the orginal estimate to time spent + remaining estimate.

The ideea is to force developer to think on estimations, not just to hack the system:)

Well he has to think about the estimation. That is what he enters in the remaining. He sees that there was no estimation set and has to think about it :)

Would you like him to enter the original estimation at the same time? He would them enter what he spent + what he thinks is remaining as original estimate. Which is what Tempo does automatically.

Is that not the ideal solution?

As I can see it is a commercial solution, is there any three solution?

As I can see it is a commercial solution, is there any free solution?

0 vote

You can configure the Time Tracking field to be Required in the Field Configuration Scheme. That way, each successful new issue creation must have the Original Estimate set.

Hope this helps.

It does not help me, as a new created issue, in our case, should not immediately have the estimations. This is because there are lots of cases when we create issues, put them in backlog and only the person that begins working on that issue, or logs the work on it, should estimate it.

Joe Wai Tye Atlassian Team Feb 28, 2013

Hi Oleg,

If that is the case, you might want to take a look at some of these other Answers posts that talks about making a field required based on another field :

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/54234/how-to-show-and-hide-specific-customfields-based-on-another-customfield-values

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/70973/how-do-i-make-a-field-required-based-upon-the-value-of-another-field-set-in-workflow-transition-screen

These methods might require a bit of work, though, as certain plugins are required to achieve this.

I can't understand how your solution might help me? I just need to be able to verify if Original Estimation exists before first work log.

Joe Wai Tye Atlassian Team Feb 28, 2013

Hi Oleg,

I figured that it could help in your situation by making the Work Logging field dependent on the Original Estimate field. This way, the Work Logging field would only be available for edit once the Original Estimate field is filled.

Any other simplier solutions?:)

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Posted 10 hours ago in Jira

We want to know what Jira Service Desk apps you're using!

Hi Community! My name is Amir and I’m on the Jira Service Desk product marketing team at Atlassian. Our team would love to understand how you’re leveraging our ecosystem for Jira Service Desk. Wha...

33 views 0 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you