Requests: hidden fields without preset value

Brian Atkins May 12, 2016

I am working on creating an employee on-boarding request type. I have a multitude of questions that need responses. However, for the HR rep that will be entering the request, I want to limit the information they need to input to just a few things (name, start date, reporting manager) and hand it off to the new employee's manager to answer other questions (computer type, phone type, access to which areas/buildings, etc). 

I created a base template that has all of the questions that need to be answered. I want HR to only see the initial 3 questions to avoid confusion, then hand it off to the manager (also an agent) to answer the remaining questions. However, when I try to hide the fields, it wants a default response. 

Can I make fields hidden without having a default response? Kind of a long intro for a simple question...

1 answer

1 vote
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2016

Hi Brian

It sounds to me like you are using the hidden fields in the request type definition. These request types are only relevant in the customer portal. So anything you do in the request type definition will only be seen by the person creating the request and will not impact what the agent can / cannot see or do.

In JIRA Service Desk I've only ever used the hidden fields to store labels or provide some other form of tagging so that I can query it later.

Once the request has been submitted in the customer portal, the agents are in charge. And this is where traditional JIRA configuration would come in to play.

In your scenario you would create an issue type in JIRA for "Employee Onboarding". You would create all the fields you need, and the workflow you need.

You would also define the screens you need for Create, Edit, View operations, as well as Workflow screens. 

In JIRA Service Desk you would map a request type to the JIRA Issue Type, and on the this request type only add the fields you want the HR rep to see.

You can configure the workflow so that when the HR Rep fills in the request it is assigned to the appropriate manager. So now it would be in the "Waiting For Manager" state for example. On the transition to the next state you could configure a workflow screen that would be displayed and would gather the remaining information.

There's quite a lot to do to get this working the way you've described (assuming I've understood you correctly).

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Suggest an answer