Request portal

Dorothy Callahan June 29, 2022

Hi all,

I hope I can explain all of this in a coherent manner.

I have a service management project and 3 software projects.  I have created request forms to be used by internal customers to submit requests through portal.  We do not want our internal customers the ability to enter requests directly into Jira.  

1) Confirm that an internal customer does not need a license or be set up as a user in the JSM.

2) I've been asking my peer to submit request using portal to test.  She was able to do that when set up as an admin user.  When I remove her as a user from projects, just as an internal customer would not be a project user, she receives message that she does not have access to any service projects.   

3) I am set up as an admin, when I submit request using portal, I receive initial email confirming request with issue number assigned.  I do not receive additional notification that issue has been assigned to software project.  If I attempt to access the issue using original email with "View Issue" to test updating comments after it's been moved to another project, I receive message "This request has been moved to a project you don't have permission to view."

I want our internal customers the ability to use portal without being a user and the requester to receive update notifications when issue is assigned to another project with updated issue ID and continue communications through comments accessed via that email.  I have tried to address via permissions, roles, notifications etc.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Dorothy

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2022

Hi @Dorothy Callahan , let me try to clear things out ...

First of all: correct, your (internal) customers don't consume a JSM license.

Second and third: setting permissions in JSM may get a bit complicated indeed. There are global access settings for the product, but also specific settings for your JSM project. Both play together to get the desired results.

Global access can be set up in 4 different ways, which are documented in more detail in this support article:

• anonymous public access to your help center and portal
  • public access to the help center with invite only to the portal
  • restricted access to your help center and portal
  • restricted access to your help center and invite only to the portal

In your case, you probably would want to choose the third option. Make sure this is set up properly before diving into project settings.

This support article then describes how you should set up access for customers to your project. the option only customers added to this project gives you most control. If you have a group with all your users, just link it the the service desk customers role of your project. 

Do take your time to thoroughly read through the linked articles.

Hope this helps!

Dorothy Callahan June 30, 2022

Good morning @Walter Buggenhout 

I've read through both articles and waiting on peer to test.  Just to confirm, there shouldn't be any issue with customer using our JSM portal to submit request and receive notifications and ability to add comments using notification when issue is moved to a Jira software project correct?  

After above changes, our test customer submitted request and got initial notification, was able to access item to update comments however when moved to Jira software project, test customer user received notification indicated item moved to another project however when clicked on "View Request" he received error message 

"This request has been moved to a project you don't have permission to view."

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

Hi @Dorothy Callahan,

Yes, obviously. Moving a ticket is rarely a good idea.Your customers only have access to tickets in JSM through the service desk portal.

If you physically move a ticket into another project, the permissions of that other project apply to access that ticket. To access issues in a Jira Software Project, you need:

• a Jira Software license (product access)
  • browse project access to the project

If that is not what you want, the commonly used approach is to create a linked ticket in the Jira Software project and keeping the original ticket where it was created in the first place. Creating linked tickets can be automated with the built in automation. That same automation allows you to keep the statuses of your linked issues in sync as well (close the JSM ticket when the JSW ticket is closed, for example).

Thank you for your time.  It's unfortunate but it doesn't sound like Jira Cloud will be able to support our process as we had hoped

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events