Represent the active sprint as a Gantt chart

Ahmed Maher January 2, 2022

Is there a way to convert the active sprint board to a Gantt chart?
If not, so how can I create a Gantt chart for the current sprint?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2022

Maybe you should look at Advanced Roadmaps. I don’t understand the concept of a sprint represented by a Gantt chart.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2022

Indeed, I don't think there's much point in representing a sprint in a Gantt - there's rarely any chaining of tasks, people are not allocated to do things in any order, individually, or length of time, and most sprints are measured in story points which don't translate to time anyway.

You'd end up with a gantt that looks simply like a list of issues, each with a bar starting at the beginning of the sprint, and being of a length proportional to the sprint estimate, which probably wouldn't tell you anything at all.

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2022

I'm afraid this will be one of those rare occasions where I must disagree with @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-.  :) 

Representing Sprints in a Gantt chart was one of the most frequently requested features when ALM Works launched Structure.Gantt. Why?  Because many Jira projects are intimately tied to other Jira projects — i.e., they have interdependencies across simultaneous or sequential sprints.

And if you are one of the lucky program or portfolio management folks you are trying to assess the big picture, across Jira projects - as shown here.

cross project gantt.jpg

I suspect @Ahmed Maher has such a use case.

-dave 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2022

Oh, I'm not saying that Gantt charts are not useful at all, just that they're of no use for a single sprint - a sprint simply doesn't look at the timing or dependencies that Gantt charts can be a useful representation of.

I think I was unclear when I said "representing a sprint in a Gantt" - I really did mean "generating a Gantt chart based on the handful of issues in the current sprint".  Not "having a Gantt chart that displays sprints and their content across a wider view".

Like # people like this
Ahmed Maher May 25, 2022

Yes, that was the case @Dave Rosenlund , many thanks to you!

0 votes
Ahmed Maher May 25, 2022

Thank you all for your suppor. And sorry for my late response!

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 5, 2022

There is a continuing discussion about whether the Gantt charts belong to the agile world. Undoubtedly, even if the chart is just regularly, rather than continuously updated, it helps provide insight into project progress to higher management. In the article, you can find more insight on Gantt Charts in Agile Management.

0 votes
Deleted user January 4, 2022

I agree with @Jack Brickey what the Gantt chart has to do with sprinting. Confusing ideas about two methodologies. It's true that this is often asked, it happens to me too and I patiently explain the difference and teach how to use the two methodologies well. Try it out for yourselves @Ahmed Maher 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events