Reporter does not recieve notifications for issues created on behalf of them

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2018

Sounds very similar to this bug here which was fixed a long time ago: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-446

Basically, when we put in a work order for a customer (happens literally all the time) then they never get updates, despite them being listed in the reporter field or the request participant field.

The bug above says that this is caused by setting "Should customers receive JIRA notifications?" to OFF, which ours IS set as... however i dont want to be dual notifying people if i toggle this to ON. I can try it for sure, but the wording of the setting, seems like they will be directed to the backend which they dont have access to.

I feel like this used to work.... That if i create a work order on behalf of someone else, they used to get an email for it. Notification scheme in TO: says 'reporter' and 'customers involved'. Under the notification helper, the user says they should be recieving, for instance, a "issue created" email. But if i look in their mailbox, they are not receiving them.

requests created from the front end customer portal work fine. its just something that we as techs create on the back end that does not work. Anyone know how i can fix?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2018

There is a good deal of confusion over that feature.   The sending of Jira Core notifications is possible within a service desk project, but it still is not possible to send Jira Core notifications to users that ONLY exist in the customer role of Service Desk (ie not Jira Core/Software nor JSD Agents).

This is because Service Desk has a completely different system for sending notifications.  It needs to have this different system because Service Desk users in the customer role are not licensed Jira users.  As such only licensed users can received notifications from the Jira Core notification schemes.   This difference is explained in more detail in JIRA Service Desk Notification explanation.

That said, I think what is happening here is a very common problem we see in regards to Service Desk when Agents create issues on behalf of users.  Depending on the steps the Agent follows to do this can have different outcomes.  

For example, if the Agent actually goes into the customer portal, and selects the request type, they can enter a different user's email/name provided they have been granted access.  This method works, but we notice it requires the Agent to go to the customer portal, not something they might do on a daily basis since they can work on issues directly in Jira.  

The other method to create would be to use the Create button in the Jira itself found on the top of just about every page.  This can create issues in that project, but doing this in a Service Desk project is a potential problem.  That is because creating issues in this method cannot set a request type.  And the request type is required in order for customers to get notifications in Service Desk.   You will find that issues that have no request type set cannot send notifications to users that only exist in the customer role.

To combat this, a number of users have setup an automation rule to automatically convert these manually created issues into any request type so customers can still get notifications.  Please see Automatically set Customer Request Type When Issue is Created via JIRA for details.

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2018

To be sure, that was it!

i have tested and now works properly. hell yes!

so well i would consider this a major bug, but i guess jira doesn't feel that the default configuration should do this... It should ship with this as an automation rule, that defaults it to *something* if it is indeed needed for emails which is like the most important part of the system, customer notifications!!!!

anyways fixed. thank you very very much.

Like # people like this
Gideon Abate May 11, 2018

Thanks this was the perfect answer.

Kusala January 8, 2019

Brilliant. Thanks heaps.

0 votes
Mariano July 9, 2021

Your answer actually helped a lot , @Andy Heinzer , thanks!

Now, the great issue is, shouldn' all request types issue an email notification? Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2021

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow the line of your question. 

Yes, I would expect that all requests would issue customer notifications by default.  However this original question was in regards to Jira users creating an issues on behalf of the user (outside of using the customer portal), and in older versions of Jira, when they did this, the requests field of Jira Service Desk (now called Jira Service management), wasn't always available. 

In turn issues could be created, but without a requests field being set.  This excluded those issues from specific JSM functionality, like sending customer notifications, but also SLA calculations and even the legacy Service Desk automation rules.

That said, a lot has changed to Jira Service Desk since this post was originally created.  For example, Set up notifications for your customers and team explains in more details about how you can configure this behavior differently today:

Links 2, 3, and 4 there I don't believe applied to Jira Service Desk at the time of this original post.

Like Mariano likes this
Mariano July 19, 2021

Very clear now @Andy Heinzer , thanks a lot!!

Suggest an answer