Replying to email notifications adds a comment

Szymon Ptak March 23, 2021

Hello I am trying to configure email handler to add comments to existing issues.

When a default jira notification is sent to email address, when I reply on email it adds nicely to an issue as a comment.

But default notifications are to simple and will not work.

Notifications configured in automation can be programmed exactly as I want to, but when people reply on that notification email, the comment won't be added and another issue will be created.

I can't to figure it out, do I need some plugin or can it be programmed ?

I've read that i have to have an issue key in email subject to properly be added as a comment, does it mean that if i put it there, and someone hit reply button on that message, it will be added as a comment? 

OOOK I wanted to close this topic now, appears that you only have to put issue.key in the email subject and everything works.

Please help.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2021

Hi @Szymon Ptak 

Welcome to community! You're using two different systems, so your aim has to be fined tuned in a such way that would conform to that requirement. Jira incoming handler is designed to handle notification as it adds a header "In-reply-to" to track the email thread in order to distinguish between a new request and an old one and also it scans the subject for issue key. However, if you're using automation to send notifications, that's a completely different notification platform therefore it can't tell or relate the same information to Jira incoming handler. With automation you have to define a way to add the issue key within the subject of the notification, so it can tell when a reply comes in. I prefer you add this prior to when the notification is actually sent the first time.

However on cloud, the Jira notification template can't be configured. JSM notification template on the other hand can but works with JSM customer only users.

So it depends on what exactly you want to achieve. Do you need your customers only users to receive nice customer templates in notification or Jira users should be receiving such notification templates? As the latter isn't feasible.

Kim Fain April 14, 2021

I have the exact same issue as Szymon.

However, we have just switched to the cloud version of JIRA after many years of the other version (sorry, I don't know the jargon).

After the initial ticket is created, we need any reply to or from the customer to be cc'd as a comment.  

Yes. The email address is in the TO field and

Yes. The Issue Key is in the subject line.

Where are the settings to make this happen?

Thank you!

Mark O_Shea May 5, 2021

@Prince Nyeche I'm having a very similar issue, wondering if you might have some insight.

Implemented custom notifications using ScriptRunner for JIRA (Cloud), for Request Participants being added and Organizations being added.

The custom notification cannot be replied too for the reasons you outlined above, is there a way for me to specify the "in-reply-to/reply-to" header when sending out the notification via the REST API ?

Failing that, what other ways can we allow customers to be able to reply to the custom notification?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2021

Hey @Kim Fain 

Are you referring to Jira default notification or one created by automation? I think all you need to do prior to when the notification is going out, is to provide the issue key on the email subject.

Hey @Mark O_Shea 

I'm not sure how you can specify the  "in-reply-to/reply-to" header with script runner. I think most probably you need to set a new header (with the details of the reply-to) when posting the notification but I may be wrong.

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2021

Hi @Szymon Ptak ,

The issue key in the subject is indeed how Jira will recognize the issue and add it as a comment.

You'll only have to make sure that the reply goes to the email address that your email handler is looking at.

I don't believe the automation email address will act as a handler (it comes from another address)

wajdan zahid September 14, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans 

I have put reply to email as my email handler of the project, also put issue key in the email subject but unfortunately the email reply creates another request when i reply to automation email.

Any idea what i might be doing wrong?

Denys Parkhomenko November 25, 2021

Hi @Prince Nyeche , @wajdan zahid 

I have same issue:

- when I create a ticket and send email with this key in subject, Jira creates a new ticket with the new key;

- when I send email with this new key in subject, it nicely adds a comment to the issue with new key.

How can I make it to always add comments instead of creating new issues?

Thanks! 

wajdan zahid November 25, 2021

Hi @Denys Parkhomenko 

Use {{issue.key}} in email subject in the automation rule

2. Set reply to email as your project email handler

3. (WHAT I WAS MISSING) permissions. Make sure the email u r replying from has the access to the issue for commenting.

In my case i was using jira service management and my email wasnt onboarded as customer for the project.

Like Kalin U likes this
Denys Parkhomenko November 25, 2021

@wajdan zahid 

thanks for reply, I probably was not clear enough with my description.

I have added an issue.key and my email address has enough permission.

Problem is:

- when I create a ticket and send email with it's issue.key in subject, Jira creates a new ticket with the new issue.key;

- if after this I send another email with this new issue.key in subject, it nicely adds a comment to this issue with new key.

How can I make it to always add comments instead of creating new issues?

wajdan zahid November 25, 2021

Hi @Denys Parkhomenko 

Sorry I am not able to understand your problem. Can you describe your use case? Maybe some more expert can help. 

-How are u sending email when u create a ticket. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events