Replying to JIRA Service desk email does not add comment

We are trying to set up JIRA Service Desk (cloud) and I am running into an issue.

I can create an service request just fine through the portal using a pseudo-customer account for testing. When the service desk agent comments (publicly) on the issue an email is sent to the customer. However, if the customer responds to the email nothing happens. I was expecting the email response to then be added to the Issue comments.

Is this not supported? Do customers have to go back to the portal and leave a comment there? 

4 answers

They are the same, yes. It is a gmail account. 

0 votes

Could you please confirm if you've setup the incoming e-mail channel for Service Desk?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/setting-up-the-email-channel-686862687.html

We're having the same problem.  JIRA Service Desk auto creates tickets just fine.  When comments are added on the JIRA side, they get emailed just fine.  When customers respond to a JIRA email, the comment gets posted just fine.

But, when our Agents respond to a JIRA service desk email, the message is lost in the void.  It's not added as a comment either public or internal.

Ah ok it is working now. I had to change my request type visible forms and enable the email response.

Thanks!

Hi, can you tell me what you did exactly?

what does "change my request type visible forms" mean?

what "enable the email response" mean ?

How you change those config? 

Thank you!

We are no longer using JSD Cloud (have server now) so I cannot recall exactly what I changed. I believe that in the "request types" the request type that I had associated to the email channel did not have the proper fields created for it. I apologize for the vague answer but it was some time ago and I cannot recall or reproduce it again. 

Its ok, we figured out the problem anyway.

Thank you

Hi Francis, can you please recall what you did to solve this?

We experience the same problem.

Thank you,
Tibor

Yes.  Answer required please.  Our servicedesk went live yestaerday with users answering e-mails and their comments being lost in the void.

Check Receiving requests by email:

• Set up a suitable request type with Summary and Description as required visible fields. Any other fields must be optional.

We did, we have the same issue as described above.

CORRECTION:

Works if reply is sent with service desk email "To" but NOT if "Cc"

BUT

A ticket will be created if it is sent via "Cc"

Why should it not be working with "Cc" in a reply?

The reason being is that often our customers email us sometimes directly with "Support" email in Cc sometimes in "To", difficult to control

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,026 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot