Reply to a Resolved issue creates a new one

Thomas Fozzi November 5, 2019

The "resolve" transition triggers a notification to the customer, asking for possible feedbacks.

When the customer replies to this e-mail notification, Jira opens a new ticket instead of appending the message as Comment to the same issue.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

On Jira Service Desk, for a comment to be added to the ticket, it’s necessary that the email contains information about the ticket, such as the Issue Key and if the person who replies to the ticket has permission to see the ticket, the comment will be added even if it’s closed.

Just for us to better understand and help you with this issue, can you share with us the details about the automation? 

Who is replying to the email? Is it the reporter?

Regards,
Angélica

Thomas Fozzi November 6, 2019

Hello Angelica,

thanks for your answer.

The scenario is the following:

- the issue is in status RESOLVED

- the e-mail is sent by the reporter as answer to the resolution notification configured in JETI app

- as such, the e-mail sent by the reporter contains the issue ID in the subject

- our project is configured with the Service Desk email requests handler

Notes:

- other issues, with status different from RESOLVED, correctly had the reporter email appended as comment

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thomas

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Thank you for the details.

I’ve checked some similar cases related to JETI and the when the reply generates a new ticket is because the person who replied didn’t have permission to comment on the issue.

Can you please check if the duplicated ticket has the same reporter? 

Is this happening for all emails that are sent when the ticket is resolved?

Thomas Fozzi November 8, 2019

Hi Angelica,

actually the customer used a different e-mail address to send the reply, sorry I didn't notice before.

I guess this explains the issue. And I don't think there is any way to prevent the customer from doing that. Unfortunately due to our policy we can't expose the Customer portal, which probably would prevent this.

Thanks for the support anyway.

Cheers,

Thomas

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2019

You are welcome, Thomas.

Some customers use different emails using one mail client and sometimes use the wrong email to reply. The only way to prevent that is indeed open the portal to anyone or if you know what is the other email address they use, you can add this email as a participant before sending this last email, so they will have permission to add the comment.

Suggest an answer