Reordering Workflow Steps

Rena Mack January 30, 2018

Is there a function to reorder the status, once published?  I can reorder them in the diagram, but the text has a hardcode step number.  Is there a simple way (besides creating a new workflow) to reorder the steps?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2018

Could you explain what you want to re-order?

Rena Mack January 30, 2018

Thank you Nic for responding.

Workflow TEXT shows

Open (1)

Review (2)

Complete (3)

Decision (4)

I want Decision (4) to be Decision (3). so that Complete is (4) and last

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2018

Only admins see the text view, so the order is unimportant there.  Is there a user related reason for re-ordering?  If so, where?

Rena Mack January 31, 2018

I want the user to see the progressive order.

2018-01-31_7-17-42.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2018

Ah, that was one of the things it might be.

Jot down your list of transitions in the order you want to see them in that menu.  (Not status, that list is transitions)

Number them in blocks starting at say 10, so 10, 20, 30, 40 etc  (Big holes leave room for changes later, because you can insert at 25 for example)

Edit the workflow, opening up each transition and going to the properties. 

Add a property named opsbar-sequence to the transition, and set the value to the number in your list. 

I believe, but I'm not sure, that if you leave one blank, Jira will use the id of the transition as held in the workflow.  You can see those ids in the "text" view of a workflow.  This may make it quicker if you realise the order is mostly correct and you only need to move a couple of them (by using opsbar-sequence to position them between two other transition ids)

Like # people like this
Rena Mack January 31, 2018

Thank you Nic.  I use this going forward.  Rena

Jim Brady March 7, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- But how can I reorder in new issue view?:

Test123.png

I used opsbar-sequence and it fixed my order for only old issue view:

Test123 Old View.png

I tried reordering in the Statuses section of Site Admin but it doesn't change the order on new-view issue Status dropdown

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2019

The new view doesn't support that yet.

Like Jim Brady likes this
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Have just found this thread. I'm using Jira Software, Cloud, and setting opsbar-sequence on the transition has no effect, neither does changing the status order. The actions / buttons stay locked in the sequence (ID) they were created in on the issue view window.

Kevin Suter November 16, 2021

You can reorder the statuses by adding the property opsbar-sequence to the workflow transitions. It's ordered ascending starting from the lowest number to the highest.

In my example it worked as expected and also according to https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-set-the-order-of-workflow-transitions/qaq-p/765554.

Gergely Groupama May 18, 2022

Hi, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

So workflow steps (statuses) and workflow transitions seem to be mixed up...

My particular problem is that I would need to reorder the order of steps for the target status mapping when using the move function in JIRA. I have a screen shot here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-I-reorder-Target-statuses-when-moving-an-issue/qaq-p/2030570?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mentions_answer&utm_content=topic#U2031270

The reason why I need it is because we will be using move a lot for a process we built and in order to facilitate administration, we would need to have the first step of the target workflow to be the first (default) option in the roll down menu for the target statuses.

Is there a way to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

Like Deleted user likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2022

>So workflow steps (statuses) and workflow transitions seem to be mixed up...

I don't understand what you mean.  There's no mix-up, steps are steps, transitions are transitions.

>My particular problem is that I would need to reorder the order of steps

Steps do not have an order.  Transitions do, for the menus.

But this is the one I really need to question!

>The reason why I need it is because we will be using move a lot for a process 

Your process is wrong.  You should never be moving an issue as part of a process.

To make things work properly, change your process so that you do not need to use "move"

Gergely Groupama February 26, 2023

Where did my answer to Nic go?

No matter, I have it saved:

"Hi,

"I don't understand what you mean. There's no mix-up, steps are steps, transitions are transitions."

People mix up the two while they are not interchangeable. When I say I want to reorder a thing somewhere - in this case, the steps in the drop down menu when choosing a target status during move, I do not need advice on how to reorder another thing somewhere else - the transitions in the ops bar. I was trying to make sense of the answers and apply it to my particular problem.

"Steps do not have an order.  Transitions do, for the menus"

They obviously do, as per my screenshot that you can check out here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-I-reorder-Target-statuses-when-moving-an-issue/qaq-p/2030570?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mentions_answer&utm_content=topic#U2282399

"Your process is wrong."

I'm not sure you are in the place to make a sound judgement about our processes... ;) Without going into much detail, I need to be able to utilize different workflows for the lifecycle stages of the SAME issue, while minimalizing overhead administration (i.e. creating tickets). And this can be achieved by using "move" as a control point between the stages.

This seems to be the best solution for the organization I am currently working for, at this stage of it's JIRA usage and JIRA plugins available.

So, do you think it is possible to reorder the way the steps appear in the target status choice field during move?"

By the way, the process went live last June and no issues with using move so far.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2023

>>"Steps do not have an order.  Transitions do, for the menus"

>>They obviously do, as per my screenshot that you can check out here:

Nope, your screenshot is showing transition, not steps.  You can re-order the transition shown by adding properties to the transitions.

>>"Your process is wrong."

>I'm not sure you are in the place to make a sound judgement about our processes

I'm not in a good place to make many judgements about your processes, but there is one I can make - if your process includes the routine use of "move issue", it is broken.

Suggest an answer