How to set the order of workflow transitions?

Brendan April 4, 2018

I'm having a problem with the order of my workflow transition options.

I am using the opsbar-sequence property and have set values for each transition to display the options in the order I want, however it appears that JIRA is ignoring these values.

Hoping someone might have a suggestion for me to try, I've searched but most of the posts are old and don't do much other then recommend using this property value.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2018

Just to be sure, did you publish your workflow after the changes? If so, what values did you use?

Brendan April 5, 2018

Hi Jobin,

Thanks for the reply and help.  Yes, the workflow was published.  A few times actually, as I tried several different property values before submitting my question.

The property values are currently back to the recommended sequence:

• Start (opsbar-sequence = 10)
  • Done (opsbar-sequence = 20)
  • Submit For Review (opsbar-sequence = 30)
  • On Hold (opsbar-sequence = 40)
  • Cancel (opsbar-sequence = 50)
  • Reopen (opsbar-sequence = 60)

So based on these values, I would expect that when my ticket is "In Progress" status, the following workflow transitions would be shown in this order:

1. Done
  2. Submit For Review
  3. On Hold
  4. Cancel

However, as you can see in the attached screenshot, Done is appears last.Screenshot-2018-4-5 (Sub-Task Ticket Workflow Transitions).png

The primary workflow for our sub-tasks are to be simply marked 'Done' when completed.  There are a small amount that required review before being closed.

However, because the ordering issue I have, most people are not opening the 'Workflow' drop down to click Done and instead are unnecessarily submitting all sub-tasks in for review.

Like # people like this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

Can you show us a screenshot of the page in jira where you set that opsbar-sequence value?  I have seen other users that set this on the status property, instead of setting this on the transition's properties.  For this to work, it has to be on the transitions properties instead.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Brendan April 6, 2018

Andrew - for sure ...

Screenshot-2018-4-6 - Transition Properties - Done.png

Also included a screenshot of the workflow with the transition selected showing that it has 1 property value set.

Screenshot-2018-4-6 - Sub-Task Issue Type Workflow.png

Pretty sure I've put the property setting in properly, but obviously something isn't working correctly :)

Brendan April 6, 2018

So I'm not sure what happened, but after putting the workflow into edit status in order to get the screenshots for Andrew, I closed out without publishing and went to work on a new ticket. 

When I transitioned it to 'In Progress' the workflow buttons were showing as expected.

I then went back to the previous ticket that I had been using to troubleshoot this issue with and it is now showing as expected. 

Don't know how this resolved itself, but it looks like things are working now.

Not going to push my luck and leave things as they are for now, until we need to make changes in the future that is :)

Appreciate the help Jobin and Andrew!

Like Dave Liao likes this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2018

Awesome, thanks for letting us know it's working now!

Mithil Deshmukh October 23, 2021

Do all transitions need an opsbar-sequence defined for this to take into affect?

I have around 10 statuses, I added 100,200 to couple of these statuses which I want at the bottom of the list but it does not seem to make any difference to my ordering.

Brendan October 25, 2021

Yes, all transitions would require a sequence value.

Jorge May 10, 2022

Hi Everyone, What does it mean if I don't see the workflow dropdown option even thou there are more transitions I could select according to the workflow? In other words, I'm not able to see all of the available transitions in the flow.

Brendan May 10, 2022

Hey Jorge,

There could be a couple of reasons for this:

1. The workflow transition has a property, condition, or validator defined that isn't being satisfied
  2. If the transitions are related to closing or resolving an issue, you might be missing that project permission

This article looks like it might be helpful in tracking down an answer for you.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/I-can-t-transition-an-issue-in-my-Jira-project-What-now/ba-p/1856945

Hope that helps.

Jorge May 10, 2022

Hi Brendan,

There was a condition preventing us from seeing the option.

Thanks for your help!

Like Brendan likes this
José Dias June 22, 2023

Hi,

I´ve a similar issue upon sorting by Status as per it´s defined flow, rather than naming.

In my case I´m displaying info on a Dashbaord Gadget and want it sorted by Sequence of the Status as per the Workflow.

I tried with opsbar-sequence and made sure all transitions are populated, but nothing changed.

This is a Jira Work Management and Team Managed project.

Would that make any difference?
Can I apply same here or can you guide how to do on that product and project type?

Many Thanks in advance

Suggest an answer