Rename or delete a workflow status

Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2014

Hi,

I created a customized workflow and one of the status was mistakenly all CAP which should be just capitalized like the rest of the statuses. I could not rename (e.g. PENDING -> Pending) due to status existing and I found no way to delete it. Any advice to fit this issue?

Thanks,

JC

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2014

There should be no problem to directly edit a status name, even if it's used. Type "gg" and "Statuses", find the corresponding status and edit it.

Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2014

Thank! work well.

Tova Pozen May 14, 2018

@Henning Tietgens - I've tried changing the Status Name this way - but with no success. The status was changed locally on the statuses page, but on the issue itself - I still see the old name.

Any help?

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2018

Mmmh, maybe a cache issue? Did you reloading the web page (STRG+F5)?

Tova Pozen May 14, 2018

Wow! that was quick!

of course I reloaded the page, and also cleared browsing cookies - no success.

I'd have tried clearing cache, unless I saw a post saying neither clearing the cache helped for that, nor restarting Jira.

That post mentioned that only when using the edited status on a new workflow - he could see the change.

So, I removed the status and added it again. (for that I needed to create a copy of the original workflow, assign the workflow scheme to the copy-workflow, edit the original, and assign it back to the scheme...)

This time the change was reflected.

Alas, the order of the transitions changed - it was the second status-transition and now it became the last one. So, I had to add the "opsbar-sequence" property to each transition on the workflow (as described here) and re-order the transitions as required.

Finally - I got the desired result.

Thanks for your answer anyway.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2018

Thanks for explaining the correct solution!

Mark Skidmore October 5, 2018

I've found that, on the Board Settings page, if I un-assign any issues from a status and the Status panel is in the Unmapped Statuses column, I have to refresh the page to get the small circled "x' in the upper right-hand corner to appear so that I can click it then delete the Status.

I'm curious about @Hennings comment: Where do you type "GG" and "Statuses"? I'm working in JIRA Cloud if it matters.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2018

The keyboard shortcut gg should work everywhere in Jira, as long as you're not typing in a text field and keyboard shortcuts are enabled in your profile.

Antti Ruohonen April 5, 2019

For me this "GG + Statuses" doesn't work, it does no find anything. Is there need for elevated administrator rights, Jira admin, instead of just project/board admin?

PS. Your link in the first message doesn't work anymore.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2019

Yes, you have to be Jira admin to edit statuses. And thanks, I changed the link to a query on the documentation.

Like Antti Ruohonen likes this

Suggest an answer