Rename groups in Crowd?

Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2012

I know that we can't rename groups in JIRA and Confluence. But I am wondering if we were to use Crowd for our user/group administration if we would then be able to rename the groups.

Here is the problem that I am trying to solve.

Groups are set up, for the most part using departmnet names. The company likes to rename the groups every few months. When they do this the group names are out of sync with the current dept structure. This causess problems for new people who have no idea what the old groups are. Or for people setting page restrictions, for example, in confluence. They have no idea what group to select. What we do now, is simply create a new group and put all the users into that. The problem is that any existing permissions are not automatically transfered to the new group. so if a page is restricted, or if a filter has been shared with a particular group, then it all need to be maintained manually.

does anyone know if the groups can be renamed, or have any other thoughts?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2012

Hi Jo-Anne,

I'm afraid Crowd suffers from the same limitation that JIRA and Confluence have. There is no way to rename groups through the UI.

However, it is possible to rename groups by altering the database. There should be only one place where a group name is referenced in the database. This method will ruin any permissions you have tied to the group and they will have to be re-associated though.

-Simon

Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2012

Thanks Simon, that is what I was afraid of.

0 votes
Sam Omidi January 19, 2016

It seems that you rename groups after Crowd 2.7.

Referring to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-1133

Cheers,

Sam smile

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2016

that's about renaming users right?

Like Dave Liao likes this
Deleted user February 19, 2016

Suggest an answer