Rename Custom Field

John Amerongen September 7, 2017

Is there a way to rename a custom field?  So there user created field called "Touchdown".  It has a configuration and sub fields (I'm not interested in changing these).  It seems every article I find tells how to change the configured values for the field or talks about risks in changing out of the box fields that come with Jira.  Is there a way for me to change "Touchdown" to "Field Goal" as the custom field name?  Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2017

If you have admin rights, just go to Administration > Issues > Custom Fields and then select to edit the Touchdown field. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/adding-editing-and-deleting-a-custom-field-776636410.html

John Amerongen September 8, 2017

Thank you Mikael.  You know, like so many other people asking questions, it seems so simple!  I cant believe in the 45 minutes I played around looking for this I could not find it.  Thank you again - appreciate the help.

Dustin Ogburn April 17, 2022

I just wanted to update - there's a new article specifically for Editing and Deleting Custom fields

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/edit-or-delete-a-custom-field/

Wanted to share since I was stuck on deleting and renaming a custom field, and the original article had been changed since Mikael's post

Ivan Rubio March 9, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg do you know if changing the name of the options in a drop down list custom field would somehow mess up with the records that have that value?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2023

@Ivan Rubio renaming the values in a select field will affect existing issues. If you do not want to do that then you can disable the existing value and add a new one, that way the user can then select to change it later if needed.

Like Ivan Rubio likes this

Suggest an answer