Remove member who has site-admin privilege

Ryan Yang July 28, 2019

Hello,

We would like to remove ex-member who has site-admin privilege before but we cannot even though the account used to do removal action is also a site-admin. The errors popped up and also showed "This user is a organization administrator, and their privileges cannot be modified." Could anyone help on the correct way of doing this? Thanks!

4 answers

4 votes
Deleted user August 29, 2019

I had the exact same issue on Jira Cloud. What you should do is this:

• Go to Settings
  • Then "User Management"
  • The top icon should say "Organization" and your site name, click on it
  • Then click "Settings"
  • Then "Administrators"
  • There you can remove organization administrators from that group
  • You can now also remove them from your site, if needed

It's a bit of a hassle perhaps, but it kinda makes sense.

Aleksey Sharapov October 19, 2019

Thank you, that really helped!

Atlassian cloud's administration is really overconvoluted, they could easily allow to remove admin from the same place as inviting and removing other users, just add additional warning that it is the admin.

Like Hari Krishna likes this
1 vote
Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2019

Hi @Ryan Yang 

I think you shouldn't delete the account, just deactivate it. If you delete it then any filters or dashboards he/she may own will be inaccessible. 

To deactivate the account you'll probably need to remove him as a site-admin. You should then be able to proceed.

Also, have a look at this https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Replacing-Site-Admin-User/qaq-p/924417

Hope  this helps.

Ryan Yang July 29, 2019

Hello @Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA] , thanks for reply!

My goal is not to delete the account, but to remove user from site. But given the user is site-admin, I have no way to remove user from site. Let's say if I'm at this user's detail page (administration -> users -> user detail), I would like to click 'remove user' at top right corner next to 'Log in as user' button but I cannot because it's grayed out.

Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2019

Can you share a screenshot?

I believe, you first need to remove user from the groups and than deactivate the user.

_INACTIVE_ Raf Mertens August 6, 2019

same issue here:

Screenshot 2019-08-06 at 13.29.16.pngScreenshot 2019-08-06 at 13.29.20.png

Like Alex Dvoretsky likes this
Ryan Yang August 11, 2019

@Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA] Yes, like what @_INACTIVE_ Raf Mertens posted, I also encountered the same issue:

remove.png

Remove user is grayed out because this user is also a site-admin.

Like Alex Dvoretsky likes this
0 votes
Sandesh Mukartihal May 16, 2020

If anyone is still looking for an answer, I had the same issue. It turns out that you won't be able to remove yourself, you will need to ask for the new/existing other site-admin to remove you.

0 votes
Alex Dvoretsky August 14, 2019

I have the same issue. It's not nice to say "user can't be removed because..." and not to provide tip what I should do to make it

Trying to toggle available checkbox 

image.png

I am getting this message

image.png

Looks as a bug

Suggest an answer