Replacing Site Admin User

Carl Taylor October 25, 2018

Hi,

I am currently the site admin user for Jira in my company but i need to switch site admin to another user (so i will not be site admin any more, but the other user will be)

We only have one license for site admin, so when i try to make the other user site admin, it says i need to remove the existing site admin first. However i cannot remove myself from site admin as the "remove from group" button is greyed out.

So i'm in a bit of a catch 22 situation where i cant remove myself as site admin to allow the other user to be made site admin.

Any advice on what i need to do would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Carl

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2018

Hi Carl,

Currently, there is no limitation for site-admin on Jira Cloud, it would be great if you could share with us a screenshot of this error.
This problem could also be related to the license. Perhaps the site-admin group is giving license to other products.
Please, go to Site administration > Product access > View configuration and uncheck the group site-admins for all products and let it only on "Jira administration":

Screenshot 2018-10-25_17-27-37.png

After that, please try to add another site-admin and you won't be able to remove yourself, you will need to ask for this new site-admin to remove you.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Angélica

Kelly Mulherron
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 6, 2019

Hi Angelica,
Would this be the same answer for the Jira Software tool?  Currently we have only 1 master Admin, but would like to add another (or at least provide the ability for this person to create Components and push Releases).  
Thanks

~Kelly

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2019

Hi Kelly,

Yes, this answer applies to all Jira Cloud and Confluence too.
The screens on Site administration has changed now, but the idea is the same, remove the site-admin group from the products.

Screenshot 2019-04-08_09-37-59.png

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer