Recommendation for Queue Management 70+ Components, 1 Project, 120 agents

Shannon October 18, 2019

We support over 70 services with a tiered support model where Tier 1 is the service desk who would either resolve the issue independently or would send the ticket to a Tier 2 group (not an individual) for Tier 2 to pull. We intend to manage all 70 services within 1 project spaces "Information Technology Services" because we will be offering JSD as an enterprise ticketing system for other departments (Facilities, Purchasing, HR) in the future and want to keep the portal clean. 

We are thinking of using a "Support Group" custom field which would enable us to have the following queues:

• Unassigned (Triage/No Support Group)
  • Unassigned Customer Support (Tier 1 Support Group)
  • Unassigned Infrastructure (Tier 2 Inf Support Group)
  • Unassigned Applications (Tier 2 Apps Support Group)
  • Assigned to me

We plan to use Component to represent each of our 70 Services so that as agents are pulling tickets, they can easily identify tickets related to their expertise. 

We are not yet using Change, Problem, or Incident issue types but we will in the future. 

Any feedback about this approach regarding 1 project for all of ITS or our queue strategy?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2019

Hello Shannon,

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, the approach you are currently applying to your Service Desk is one of the ideals for handle tickets when using multiple tiers of Support.

Personally, I would only suggest you to consider using the Status field to escalate/change the tiers of your tickets instead of a group custom field.

The status field has more visibility and it's easier to manage your SLA and notify your agents when the tier of the ticket change (By using the Notification schemes), in case you are planning to use these features in the future.

Also, you will be able to create reports based on the status changes, having a clear estimation of how much time the issue spent on each tier.

You can have more details about this approach in the documentation below:

Jira Service Desk: Escalations 

Let me know if this information makes sense.

Suggest an answer