REST vs HTTP Sessions

We have two different type of sessions HTTP and REST in Jira. On what basis or criteria the REST or HTTP session will be created?

4 answers

We have the same remark: some users are listed with User Session Type = REST, others with HTTP. Both just access jira through a browser, same URL. Any idea ???

The same question: users in our company uses only browser to access JIRA, however, some users access it via HTTP, other with REST and another with SOAP. I have no idea what is the rule for using one of these three protocols/methods. Have anyone any idea?

Hi, REST sessions are created when REST communication is made via the REST API. Are you actively using this? If not it could be plugins.

HTTP sessions are normal sessions created when you browse JIRA and other services that connect via HTTP.

They are different protocols that do different things.

Got the idea.

But when the user is loggining in using browser , sometimes http session is getting created and some time REST session is getting created. We are not able to find out on what basis different types of sessions are getting created.

0 votes

On what version of JIRA you're using? Also, try enable Safe Mode and try logging in few more times and determine whether it is using HTTP or REST session.

We are running on Jira 5.1.8

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,979 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot