Publish Workflows

Fr0zt March 14, 2018

Hello.

I am working with workflows in Jira.

I created a Service Desk (Basic) project.

this project has this types of issues: IT Help, Service Request, Service Request with Approval, Sub-Task, Task.

I've created new workflow.

I import one of them (workflow) and add it to the project. I choose to apply it to Tasks (only). But than I get a menu to publish workflow for this Issue Type: Incident, Change, Problem. (I have to associate status from those types with the new status).

My question is this: If I choose TASK, when I am deciding where to apply the new workflow, why does it asks me to associate new status with this issue types (Incident, Change, Problem) ? 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2018

When you publish a workflow you will publish it for all issue types, for which the workflow has been defined. You can not publish it just for a single issue type. That is why you are asked to associate statuses for all issue types.

Fr0zt March 14, 2018

But when I publish it I get options to publish it for specified issue types. Not for all issue types... So I am a bit confused.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2018

Jira doesn't do that, as far as I can tell.  Could you show us?

Fr0zt March 15, 2018

Look, the thing is: when I import a workflow to JIRA it gives me the option to choose which a of the existing status will change into the new selected status. Sometimes it changes the name of existing status, in projects, to names of status i have imported in the new project. Why? At this stage I just want to import it.

After importing a workflow I add it to a project and I get to choose where do I want to apply it. I choose to apply it ONLY TO INCIDENTS.

vmconnect_2018-03-15_11-12-55.png

vmconnect_2018-03-15_11-19-29.pngI choose to publish. At this point I get another equivalence table for this type of issues: Incidents and also for IT Help. Why IT Help? I've only selected to apply it to Incidents.

vmconnect_2018-03-15_11-22-05.png

Can someone explain the process of exporting, importing and applying imported workflows to existing project (to selected issue types)?

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2018

Ah, ok, so you've asked an inaccurate question.

There is no "replace for specific issue types" going on here, you're asking about the mapping of old status to new.

When you replace a workflow, Jira has to check the status the old and new workflows use.  If a status does not exist in the new workflow, it needs to ask you what the new status is for any issues in the status you are removing (because it's useless nonsense to have an issue without a valid status)

This screen is asking you what to migrate the removed status to, but, it is a bit clunky - it displays ALL the possible migrations instead of just the ones it has to do.  You can ignore any line that says "0 issues affected", you only need to map lines with one or more issues.

Fr0zt March 15, 2018

I understand that and I thank you for the answer. It cleared some of my issues :)

- When you say " You can ignore any line that says "0 issues affected"", it means I don't need to choose anything there as it will not affect anything is that correct? The "0" it's value placed in front of each issue type?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2018

Yes, the number is telling you how many issues are in that status. If it is zero, then no issues are in that status, so the change will not actually affect anything.

Fr0zt March 15, 2018

Ok.

Regarding "mapping of old status to new", when I import a workflow to JIRA (not adding it to a project), is it normal that JIRA changes the name of the statuses of existing workflow statuses? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2018

No, it is not changing the names.

It is creating new workflows with new status.

Fr0zt March 16, 2018

Ok. Tell me please, when I am cloning an existing workflow: I make a copy of it, and if I change the name, in the new status workflow, it will also change the name, of the same status in the original workflow? Why?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2018

Workflows do not contain status.  Workflow steps have a reference to a global list of status.

When you edit a status inside a workflow, you're not editing the workflow, you are editing an entry on that global list.  So if several workflows refer to that one status, the changes will appear in all of them, because they're all referencing the thing you have changed.

Fr0zt March 16, 2018

Ok, I understand that.
Thanks.

But, to clearify things, just answer me one last time.

Let´s say I have a JIRa with a status named "Done".
I import a new workflow with a new Status named "Done It".

No in the "Map Workflow Statuses" Screen, where I map statuses in the workflow to new or existing statuses in JIRA, I can do one of this options:

Option 1:
Done It -> New Status: Done It

Option 2:
Done It -> Done

Can you explain the difference between both, and what will happen in both scenarios please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2018

When you swap a workflow in a project, Jira needs to know what status you want for issues where you are deleting their existing status.  In your option 1, Jira will do nothing because you are telling it to continue to use the old status.  In option 2, it will  move the issues to "done"

Fr0zt March 19, 2018

Hello. What you mean is that, in option 1, "Done it" is a new status. So when I add that workflow into a project I will use "DOne it" status.

In option 2, when I add that workflow into a project I will use the old Status "DOne", as if it were the "done it" status.

Is this correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2018

No, please re-read what you wrote for the two options and then what I said

Fr0zt March 19, 2018

I see. But Regarding you last answer: My question, regarding option 1 and option 2, are related to importing workflows to JIRA (before adding workflows to a project). So when I am importing it, I just want it to be available for latter import... That's why I am confused about this,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2018

I am confused too, because your questions do not appear to be related to import.

Fr0zt March 19, 2018

Let's say you have 2 instances of JIRA (JIRA 1 and JIRA 2).

Imagine you build a workflow in JIRA 1.

Than you export it into a file (myworkflow1.jwb).

Then, in JIRA2 you go to settings-> issues -> workfow -> import.

Now on JIRA2 youy import the workflow (just import, not add it to a project).

Now, when I am importing it I get the Map Workflow Statuses" Screen, where I can map states. I get this table:

ORIGINAL STATUS                    NEW STATUS

Status 1                   -->            NEW Status / OLD STATUS

In this stage I am not adding anything to an Project. I am just importing it into JIRA.

As so, I don't understand what does this screen means.

Because, in the left column I have the states from the workflow that I AM importing now. In the right column I HAVE  the Status that already exist in JIRA. However in the title I Have "ORIGINAL Status" in the LEFT and "NEW STATUS" in the right.

Do you understand now what I am asking?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2018

Yes, I get it.

Status are not imported as part of a workflow.  You have to tell Jira what status to associate with each step.

This won't change any status on anything, it's just asking you what status to use.

Fr0zt March 20, 2018

Ok. Thanks for your help :)

Deleted user October 2, 2018

Thanks Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

You can ignore any line that says "0 issues affected", you only need to map lines with one or more issues.

That's a very valuable answer for a terribly confusing interface.

I was really afraid I would somehow be impacting all the other issues in other projects!

Suggest an answer