Project Automation: Priority Based on Due Date

Timothy Allen July 6, 2020

Is possible to use the project automation tool to create triggers that increase the priority of an issue based an upcoming due date. I.E.

• Priority is at Medium if due date equals 1 week
  • Priority is at High if due date equals 3 days
  • Priority is at Highest if due date equals 1 day 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2020

@Timothy Allen You can do this using Automation for Jira (built in to cloud).

Go to project settings > Automtion and create a rule with the following conditions:

auto2.PNG

This will run each day, and if the due dates fall within any of the given filters, then the priorities will change accordingly (you will need to select the priority on each of the actions on all branches of the rule)

Timothy Allen July 6, 2020

Great thanks for the help. I will try that out and let you know if I have any issues.

Chaya Adams February 18, 2024

Hey there, 
I tried to automate this but had the error "

• The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger. You need to use the option to run JQL to provide issues. The following components require issues: Issue condition, Edit issue"

Any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ 
Chaya Adams February 18, 2024

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 4.38.40 pm.png

Like Morgan P DeAngelis likes this
Morgan P DeAngelis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 4, 2024

@Chaya Adams- I think you need to check the "Run a JQL...." box at the bottom of the right-hand menu. The automation is trying to search requests/issues to apply the changes/updates to etc., but there is no search conditions for it to to that.

For example [in the JQL part]

project = 'XYZ' AND due <= 7Days

will apply your automation to jira requests & tickets that are in project XYZ and the due date is less than or equal 7 days from now.

Hope that helps.

1 vote
Guillaume.Hallaert
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 19, 2020

Hi 

Does this also apply for Next-Gen projects?

Br

Guillaume

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events