Problem with resolution field

Denise M. September 10, 2018

We've recently turned on the resolution field using JIRA's default values, one of these JIRA default values is Unresolved. 

Any time a user updates any field in the issue, the issue-key is displayed with a strike-through. Please note that the strike-through is only visible on the sprint board / project backlog.

I can query the project and I see NO issues with strike throughs. What I do see in my query is that the Resolution value displayed is either Unresolved or Unresolved. One is italicized, one is not.

It seems that the resolved field is being updated when an issue is edited (Unresolved, not italicized) 

Why is this happening and how do I make it stop? 

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2018

>We've recently turned on the resolution field using JIRA's default values, one of these JIRA default values is Unresolved. 

No, it is absolutely not a default.  One of your admins has added it to the list at some point.  This is a bad thing because any value in resolution (even ones like "not done", "unresolved", "more to do") means the issue is resolved.  The field needs to be totally empty for Jira to see the issue as "open"

Log in as an admin immediately and change the "unresolved" name to something like "broken resolution do not use".  Next go through your screens, removing resolution from all of the Create or Edit screens.  It should only go on screens that are on transitions from an open status to one you want to consider "closed"

That will prevent more damage being done, but will still leave you with a set of possibly broken issues with that incorrect resolution on them.  You'll need to work out which ones of those should have it cleared, then a route to fix that, then you can delete the broken resolution and clear it off the issues.

Thank you so much for your response. 

Like Kriti Jain likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Christopher Heritage
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2018

Hello Denise Marvel,

The reason your issues are displaying with a strikethrough on your boards is because they're showing as resolved.

The common suggestion is to not add the Resolution field to the edit screen. If you do, then anytime the user edits an issue, they will set the resolution to something other than unresolved. In that case, you will end up with issues that are both open and resolved at the same time. 

Instead, add the Resolution field to a transition screen

In our Jira instance, we have a screen called Default Resolution Screen. On this screen is just the Resolution field. This screen fires anytime a user transitions an issue to the Done or Closed status.

This gives the user the ability to set the resolution at the time of issue completion.

Hope this helps! Let me know.

Thanks,
Chris H.

Thanks Chris H! 

Peggy MacDonald February 7, 2020

Chris,

I've finally figured out how to add the Resolution screen to the transition but I cannot figure out how to display the resolution status on the issue itself. _SIM-88__Test_Story_2_7_-_JIRA.pngClosed_-_JIRA.png

Christopher Heritage
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2020

Hi Peggy!

If you're using the old issue view, you should see the resolution next to the status, like this.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 12.45.02 PM.png

In the new issue view, it looks like the Resolution doesn't display, which is a known issue. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69556.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Chris H.

Suggest an answer