Problem with increasing JIRA application memory

Sebi January 16, 2019

Hi, 

I want to import the backup of my JIRA cloud instance to a JIRA trial version on my own computer for testing something. The backup file has a capacity of round about 600mb as a zip file.

I am trying to increase my JIRA application memory at the moment. Due to the import takes a lot of time and it doesn´t finish I want do this move. I have already done the settings with (Setting Properties for Windows Services via Command Line). If I select the settings to check them, the settings are still correct. But if I look in my JIRA instance (in Confluence, go to Confluence Administration > System Information, and look at the memory graph during times of peak usage) the memory doesn´t change. 

Now I want to understand this problem. Is it possible that increaseing the JIRA application memory is excluded in a trial Version?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sebastian 

JIRA.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2019

Lets see what's in setenv.sh

• From <jira-install>/bin, open setenv.bat.
  • Find the section set JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS=

you should see a JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY and one for MAX as well.  Update those.

I like 4096 and 8192 for some reason as my first stabs. 

Update and restart Jira.

Also, In Jira, what is Jira reporting as the available memory?

Last, In your screenshot, make sure you have at least the min and max that you specify in the setenv.sh file. 

Of course, when you set this, make sure your system has the ram available.  If not, this thing will crash. 

Sebi January 23, 2019

Hi @Gregory Van Den Ham,

the system is correctly working now! Thank you!

Thanks for your help.

Sebastian

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2019

Awesome news, thanks for the feedback and glad your system is running :)

Suggest an answer