Problem with Jira Incoming Mail and AWS WorkMail

epedder January 25, 2019

Now that AWS WorkMail provides an IMAP server, is it possible to use it for Jira's incoming mail reader?  I tried to configure it but get the message below:

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

• AuthenticationFailedException: [UNAVAILABLE] Temporary authentication failure. [v20190121t1047-197-imap-iad-prod8:2019-01-25 12:26:10]

I'm connecting to imap.mail.us-east-1.awsapps.com using SECURE_IMAP with the correct username and password.  I know it isn't credentials as I get the same error message when using the wrong username.

Is there a known incompatibility?

2 answers

0 votes
Sven.H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2019

Hello, we had a similar problem.

Our mistake was that we had not taken the email address as username ^^

Regards,

Sven

SMTP-Host.png

epedder April 23, 2019

Thanks for the advice.  I am definitely using the e-mail address as the username.  Note that your screen-shot is for configuring outgoing mail (with SMTP) and in my case that works fine.  I'm only having trouble with incoming mail (with IMAP).  

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.23.19 AM.png

npaudyal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 22, 2020

Any luck on figuring this out?

epedder January 22, 2020

I gave up months ago.  But just to be sure I went back now and tried again and - to my surprise - it says "Connection Successful".  So I guess someone fixed something somewhere.

Unfortunately it is too late to be useful to our system - but hopefully it works for you.

Are you having a similar issue?

Manjunath
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 10, 2022

I see the same issue in Jira version 8.22.1 connection aws workemail.

JIRA incoming email configuration supports POP and IMAP only (not SMTP).

So, the situation is same as yours and not able to connect to IMAP. 

Always getting 'SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out' error.

I have tried the same configuration with online IMAP testing tool and found working.

Any solution for this ?

Thanks

Manjunath

0 votes
Darlene Ashleigh Jeter April 19, 2019

I know your request is old, but this seems to be hit or miss. I have 3 other mailboxes configured exactly the way you are attempting. I am trying to configure the forth and I get:

Unfortunately, JIRA couldn't connect to the mail server. Here is what the mail server said: "[UNAVAILABLE] Temporary authentication failure. [ip-10-0-106-104:2019-04-19 21:38:22]" Che

I have reached out to my AWS domain expert and will keep you posted.

epedder April 23, 2019

That's the same error I'm receiving.  Are the 3 other mailboxes that are working using AWS Workmail?  And yes if your domain export has any advice that would be great.

Suggest an answer