Post Function to Auto Increment Custom Field on Jira Cloud on specific transition (not just status)

Kevin Christmann May 1, 2023

I need to increment a custom field by 1 on a post function. It is seemingly a simple ask, but I have some nuance that I cannot find an answer for.

I'm really struggling to figure out how to achieve this. I've read a dozen or so questions\replies related to this but none of them are exactly what I need. My assumption is that I need to use Scriptrunner to do this.

• I use Jira cloud (other scripts I am seeing are for Server)
  • I need to do this on one specific transition. Note: this is not entering a specific status, but on a specific transition. I have more than one transition exiting and entering the exact same statuses, which is why I need this to be a post function and not automation. See screenshot below.
    2023-05-01_16-58-38.png
  • I was wondering if instead of Scriptruner, I can use the "Update Issue Custom Field" post function but it is not clear to me if I can make that value dynamic or if it is a static value.

1 answer

1 vote
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Hi @Kevin Christmann

You can try using Jira Automation and add 1 to it everytime the transition is executed: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-math-expressions/

Regards,

Fabian

Kevin Christmann May 2, 2023

@Fabian Lim  I don't think that works though because automation won't let me get as specific as I need. As I mentioned (and seen in screenshot) I have 2 transitions that both have the same starting and ending status. Automation does not let you specify a transition. It only lets you specify starting and ending status. (Unless I am overlooking something.)

Kevin Christmann May 2, 2023

Unless I am overlooking something, automation can only specify the from and to status. That doesn't work for me because I have 2 distinct transitions with the same "from" and "to". I need my automation to only apply to 1 of those. Which is why I think it needs to be a post function on the specific transition.

2023-05-02_08-42-37.png

Karolina Dylewicz October 26, 2023

Hey @Kevin Christmann , you know how I did it:

on the transition where you want things to happen, I added a simple post-function to mark a custom field type select with just some value. I know this field doesn't change in any other situation. 

Then, in the automation, I could use a trigger: when the field value changes to X, run through the action... :) and it works. Like this the system knows exactly when to do it :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events