Please share your recommended workflow for our system development process. :)

@JHF November 11, 2016

Hi guys! 

This is the first time I am using JIRA for our system development. Ive used a lot of project management and so far I believe that we finally hit the jackpot with JIRA. I know it is based on scrum methodology and I have been studying the essentials when it comes to SCRUM methodology. 

Here is our workflow with JIRA 

1. Create a Project ( IRIS ) 
  2. Create EPICS. For our EPICS I use the Main modules as an EPIC 
  3. Then I create issues then assign it to an EPIC if its connected to them. Then create sub tasks under one issue just in case one issue needs more tasks to accomplish. 
  4. Then basically prioritize on which are to be put into each sprint. Then it would show on the boards. 

My questions and here is where I need some expert help from you guys smile

1. When I edit an issue why is there an issue list down box? What is this for?
  2. So this is where I just get confused. 
    1. When we put it on sprint, it means that the developers are working on it right? 
    2. When issues are placed on sprint 1 it goes to the ToDo board. What does this mean?
    3. What does In Progress mean and the done board?
    4. Since this is our workflow with our development team. 
      1. We design / R&D the modules
      2. We submit to the development team 
      3. We prioritize which are to be coded first 
      4. They code and upload it on our IRIS BETA ( sandboxed ) 
      5. We test it on IRIS BETA
      6. Submit bug reports 
      7. They code and fix it 
      8. If already working we upload into the final version 
      9. WE test the uploads on the final version.
    5. How do i do these on JIRA so we would understand the following?
      1. Its being coded after design and R&D has finished 
      2. It has been uploaded on IRIS BETA and ready for testing by us.  
      3. Bug testing is on going by us 
      4. Bug testing reports have been submitted by us
      5. They are recoding to fix the bugs? ( The dev team) 
      6. Upload into the final version ( i think this is the release hub? )
      7. Test the uploads on the final version
      8. Implement to users?

Thank you for the help guys! I really need it. I am confident JIRA would help us a lot but its just confusing the learning curve is high smile

Thanks again! 

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2016

Wow, John. Looks like you're actually asking for a full explanation on JIRA Software smile.

There is going some work to do by yourself there! But on the other hand - when you're talking about workflow, you've taken an important step already: you already described your workflow in your question. You can build the workflow you describe in JIRA just like that, it's just a matter of getting familiar with how you do that.

So definitely have a look at this presentation on workflows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvUnF6RGD1Q

After watching the video, you might want to download the workflows guidebook as well from this link.

And then, definitely invest the necessary time to dive into the documentation and get familiar with the product and its configuration. A good starting point is this site, if you're on Cloud or this one, if you're on server.

Suggest an answer