Permissions needed to edit workflows

Hi all,

I need to grant a project administrator a permission to edit workflows in his own project without making him an almighty JIRA administrator - is this possible and if yes, what permissions do I need to grant?

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

D

3 answers

Only users with JIRA-Administrator rights can edit workflows.

You will have to grant 'JIRA- Administrator' permission.

Please refer : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

Additionally, I'd strongly advise you not to do it. The Jira administrator group should be a small group of people who work together closely. Most of my engagements with Jira have started with "we need to clean up the mess made by letting project leads have admin access"

Agreed on that, Nic, but my team just does not have the ressources to support yet another project (including workflow maintenance etc.), so I need to somehow provide that project lead a solution. Bad luck the project isolation in JIRA is that poor :(

Editing workflows really really should be limited to people who understand Jira. Project leads mostly do not know it well enough.

Anyway, there is one option - do you have the Agile addon? That would let the project lead use "simplified workflow" - they set up a board and the workflow follows the board. No editing rights needed.

0 vote

I think you've misunderstood the question.

The rights to edit a workflow are limited to Jira Administrators. It's nothing to do with security schemes.

What I think you can do is to create a new security scheme and link it with that specific project.

You can take a look on this to have more information on this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,308 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot