Permissions keep changing without intervention

Paula Susman June 14, 2022

I have a Project that also pulls in items that can be selected from another field (of any Project) that seems to automatically and randomly change permissions so some of the team cannot start or create a sprint and cannot put in time.  The roles and permission scheme are the same so I don't understand why this is happening.  The permissions scheme is also the same as many other Projects with complex and cross-Project items and those work fine.  

3 answers

0 votes
Paula Susman June 17, 2022

It happened again yesterday.  In a different Project and Board.  It is a combination board but I went to all the other Projects involved and updated the permissions and roles on those as well and still my PdM and Engineering manager cannot move items on the board (which they could do last week).  Thank you all for the encouragement to keep poking at the problem.

0 votes
Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2022

@Paula Susman 

You have a tricky situation.  

Here's what's happening.  The user that is trying to start/stop the sprint does NOT have access to a project that is being pulled in by your filter.

You can solve this in one of two ways.

Ensure that the user is in the PEOPLE section of the project settings and ensure that the user has the proper role as defined by the permission scheme to "Manage sprints".

The second option is to make the user a Jira admin as this will give the user the appropriate access to all the projects.

I made a quick video explaining the problem you have here: Look at the 33 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51-LxSMioOE&t=4s

Paula Susman June 16, 2022

You are fantastic for doing this and this is very helpful.  Thank you.

I had already encountered this particular problem in the past and had compensated for it so not sure that was what the issue is this time.

Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2022

Yeah, it's tough without actually looking the the problem to see the exact behavior.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What do you mean by "permissions change"?  Is the permission scheme for the project being changed?

Well one day this person could control the sprints and the next day they could not.  I had changed nothing (although I guess someone else in the company could have theoretically changed something).

Assumed it was a software update that may have triggered it.

After many attempts and changes we got things working again but it was rather problematic.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

Reading through the release notes for Cloud over the last couple of months, I'm going to have to go with "I guess someone else in the company could have theoretically changed something" as the culprit.

There are only 3 of us who could have changed this and none of us did.  Today it happened to a different team, in a different project and board... gremlins I guess

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

I'd sack the gremlins (just don't throw them in the pool or feed them after midnight ;-) ) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events