Permission on Issue Type

SBT IT October 31, 2019

Hi,

I want to restrict some users/group to create Issues with certain issue's type.

For example, a Team member can create an issue of type "Bug" only.

Is that possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2019

Hi @SBT IT

There is one way I know of doing this on Cloud without an add-on - but it is a workaround. You can change the create validator on each issue type's workflow to a different permission that a limited group have access to. 

To accomplish this - you'll need:

• A separate workflow for each group of issue types you want to restrict. So if there was a different group of users for every issue type, each would need a unique workflow.
  • Group(s) of users to be part of the special "create" group - you can manage groups in User Management
  • A unique permission that each group has access to

So, for example, in our instance "Delete All Comments" is a Project Admin-only permission. If I wanted to restrict it so only Project Admins could create Epics I could:

1. Add a new workflow for an Epic and enter edit mode
  2. Click on the Create transition and select Validators
  3. Remove the default create validator "Only users with Create Issues permission can execute this transition" by pressing the "x" when hovering over this row
  4. Press Add Validator and choose Permissions Validator and press Add
  5. Select the permission unique to my Project Admins - "Delete All Comments" and press Add
  6. Publish the Workflow (inc. adding it to the workflow schemes, etc)

^ Any user will still be able to select Epic in the create screen, but with the above published they'll receive an error when trying to publish their creation. The error isn't very clear as it will simply say the user doesn't have the "Delete All Comments" permission (in the above example) - but it does achieve what you need without an add-on.

Ste

Samuel Stephens November 7, 2022

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Are the steps you've outlined above easily achievable in Data Center?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 26, 2022

Hi @Samuel Stephens 

It should still work, I haven't needed to use it in quite a while though.

DC has more options though, depending on what Apps you have - for example...

• Scriptrunner (or a similar scripting App) would allow you to restrict available Issue Types per Group/Role - see this Scriptrunner help page as an example
  • Automation - for a native option, you could use Automation to locate who created an Issue, then either hide it (eg. behind an Issue Security Scheme), or delete it, immediately after creation for users who should not be using a specific Issue Type. You could also send the user an email confirming that they are not allowed to create that Issue Type.

Let us know if you need any help with either of these options!

Ste

4 votes
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2019

@SBT ITwelcome to the community.

I am afraid issue type create permission setting is not possible in Jira.

As a work around I recommend using ScriptRunner's (an external plugin) Behavioral module.

Take a look at this for reference - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Restricting-issue-creation-of-certain-issue-types-based-on-user/qaq-p/821331

You can find more examples similar to the one I have given above if you search this community.

Suggest an answer